Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

differance between 2nd and 3rd?

Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
differance between 2nd and 3rd?

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knows the differance between the 2nd and 3rd eddition, I have heard that the 1sta and 3rd and quite a bit differant. I have the 2nd eddition but will be upgrading to CS2 soon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 09:51 AM
There is quite a bit of topic / content overlap across editions (I'd estimate 85%-90%). Newer editions update methods covered previously and cover new features / functions / tricks applicable to the version of PS on which they are based.

1st edition based on PS6
2nd edition " " PS7
3rd edition " " PS CS/CS2

From on 3rd edition:
"Whether you’re a professional photographer or the family shutterbug, you can’t afford to miss the third edition of the now classic Photoshop Restoration & Retouching. Katrin Eismann and co-author Wayne Palmer have reviewed, updated, and revised every single technique to address the most important features in Adobe Photoshop CS2. Clear step-by-step instructions using professional examples highlight the tools and techniques photographers, designers, restoration studios, and beauty retouchers use to restore valuable antique images, retouch portraits, and enhance glamour photography. With new example images illustrating the tutorials, Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, Third Edition will show you how to transform faded, damaged photographs into beautiful images that are as clear and crisp as the day they were taken—maybe even better—and how to turn casual snapshots and studio portraits into the most flattering images possible.

Full-color, step-by-step examples show you how to:
• Correct extreme exposure errors and improve color, contrast, and tone
• Rescue heirloom originals suffering from mold damage, cracks, and torn edges—even replace missing image
• Remove dust and scratches quickly and easily
• Transform your photos into beautiful, original works of art by converting them to black-and-white or tinted images
• Use a variety of sharpening techniques and tonalcorrection tools to add life and sparkle to digital photos
• Enhance portraits by removing blemishes, reducing wrinkles, and enhancing eyes, lips, and hair, while maintaining the subject’s essential character
• Apply the secrets that the top retouchers in the glamour and beauty industry use to perfect skin, make-up, and hair

Food for thought:
• Have you mastered everything in the 2nd edition?
• What are you not able to do that the 2nd edition does not cover?
• If you don't have her newest book, Photoshop Masking and Compositing, I highly recommend it. Perhaps there would be more value to you in broadening skills in a different area.

If there's one of the big name brick and mortar bookstore nearby, I'd bet you would find copies of both books to browse.

Good luck on your decision. I hope this helps.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources