RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Military uniform help

Old 02-02-2006, 03:13 PM

Military uniform help

Hi all, I am currently working on a restoration for a client who has no information on the military insignia on her Grandfathers's uniform. I don't have permission to post the entire image, but I've been given permission to post the below attachments, and was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of military uniforms and insignia. She has told me that I could "fudge it" on the buttons, but I'd like to restore this as close as possible to the original. I've made out the crossed rfiles on the right button, but the button on the left (attachment 2) is giving me trouble. I've spent the last couple of days searching military insignia sites, but I still haven't found out anything, in particular regarding the buttons, nor the signifcance of the red (orange?) stripes on the shoulder/cap. (attachment 3)
Thanks in advance for any help or insight

Chester
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uniform1.jpg (78.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg uniformdetail.jpg (57.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg uniform_cap.jpg (63.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 03:48 PM

When did he serve? I'm assuming this is a US Army uniform. Is this a safe assumption?

And what was his rank?

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 05:06 PM

If that is WW2 era, the red stripes could very well have indicated that he was in some kind of a training status, and within that group he was some kind of a leader. The stripes would mean nothing outside of that particular unit.

One of my uncles wore something like that when he was a cadet (a pilot in training) during WW2. I myself was a "company officer" when I was in boot camp during the late 50's and I wore a special patch to denote my office. At the time, with that patch and 25 cents, I could get a cup of coffee!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi dk, thanks for responding,
As far as I know it's US military. I won't be able to speak to the client again until this Sunday or Monday. I don't have any further info at this time in regards to rank, branch or date of service etc. This was a "drop off " order and there wasn't any pertinent info other than what she wanted me to do to the photos.

I'm assuming, just by looking at the photo paper and the color style, it was sometime in the 50's. Possible it could be earlier, but I'm doubting it. Sorry not to be more specific. I was just hoping that somebody here might recognize the uniform style. There was a terrible heavy blue colorcast that I removed, and I'm sure the color isn't exact in the attachments, but it's fairly close I think.

Thanks again
Chester
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Garazon,

Assuming the US Army - the crossed rifles are the infantry insignia and the pin on the other lapel should have only the letters US. But it kinda looks more elaborate than that (hard to say with the damage).

I tried to Google for the insignia on the cap and epaulet with no joy. Mike may be right about the training thing...but I'm not sure someone in training would have worn either the ascot or the braid on the right shoulder. My personal experience is Vietnam-era and as I remember the only people who wore those things were people who jumped out of airplanes and other such idiots. Don't remember if paratroopers/rangers etc in training were entitled to such ornaments or not.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 06:12 PM

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to ignore your post, I swear I didn't see it when I replied! I was thinking the same thing about the stripes and it being a unit thing. I hear ya on the cup of coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats
and the pin on the other lapel should have only the letters US.
Thanks for that! At the least I can have something ready. And it may well be that that is what it is. The image I posted has been joined together from three pieces, of course it was right through the pin. Original scan area attached.

The picture is in sad shape, the other major tear is right through the eyes, definitely not one of my favorite things to recreate
Thanks again so much for the feedback, It's much appreciated! When I find out definitely about the uniform/era, I'll post back.

G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uniformdetail2.jpg (87.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by garazon; 02-02-2006 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added attachment
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources