RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Loretta Lux's skin tone and pastel tinting

Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 AM

Loretta Lux's skin tone and pastel tinting

I really like her stuff and got her book. She said in a recent interview that she could spend up 6 months to retouch one photo:

http://www.lorettalux.de/

BTW nobody knows her real name and her prints sold as high as $19,000 each. She hand-painted her some of the backgrounds and the skin as well. The closest i can get to emulate her skin tone is putting a red channel layer on the top of the original playing different bending mode (luminosity or screen). and opacity. Can some experts here suggest a better method????

Her photographic backgrounds have a kind of creamy yellow or pale rose red tinting to me. I have tried using a layer filled cream colour set to very low opacity and putting it on top, masking the areas where i don't want. In addition, I have tried using diffuser glow filter setting the foreground and background colours in two shades of creamy colour with layer mask for selective areas. But it doesn't get close to her style. Finally I am thinking of handpainting the different shades of creamy colour all over the areas with a low opacity brush.....I wonder if there is cleverer way of getting that creamy pastel colour on the clothes and background???? I got the feelings that she achieves that skin tone and tinting through sheer patience of hand painting and super painting skills. (she was a trained painter).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 AM

sorry stupid me i posted this in the wrong part of the forum..i can't delete the post and re-post it to the main forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 AM

unreal, to be well contacted and eccentric whilst valued at the same time is an art form
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 PM

I have Posted this on Many Forums.
Would be nice if anybody could help on Finding out how to achieve those pastel washed out "White" skintones!!
Will be watching this thread.

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 03:59 PM

Snook
The more I study her photos, the more fascinating it gets. She is enigmatic. There are several variations of skin tone she used. From very pale complexion to pinky rose colour. I would describe the skin as translucent, painterly and creamy. She often put the backgrounds, like the walls, sky and clothes in the very close shade of colour; a good example is the "Rose Garden". She got some of the vintage clothes from e-bay and used hair stylist BTW. All she said her techniques are very complex and time consuming.
I start to believe she creates that skin tone by very slow and labourous handpainting; there is no short cut for that.
Check out this painting of Bronzino I found by chance:

http://www.micromediaups.it/estetica/Maria08A.jpg

The child reminds me of the "Drummer" . The hair style is the same. She emulated the skin tone of the old masters.

Last edited by singlo; 03-02-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 05:39 PM

This reminds me a little of some of Joyce Tenneson's work. Except I don't think Tenneson did it in Photoshop.

http://www.tenneson.com/index_tr.html
(some artful nudity)

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 05:42 PM

I've a question about her style---why does it appear the heads are larger than the bodies in some images?

Or is it that the bodies are elongated?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I've a question about her style---why does it appear the heads are larger than the bodies in some images?
In some of the photos, she enlarged the heads with Transform tool, the eyes with Liquidfy, Spherize or whatever...adding colour and details to the iris. The hair in some cases is being retouched to give that silky look, everything is meticulously painted with precise colour matching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 07:56 AM

Nothing New on the Loretta front?
Just thought I'd bump this thread up as I am really interested aswell.
I do know 2 things about her. Her Backgrounds are put in seperately and as she states they are from her different worldy trips. And yes she does emlarge slightly heads ,eyes limbs etc...
I am more interested personally in how she get's those White, slightly colorless skintones. Anybody have any suggestions?? Also she has kind of a pastel look to her colors and ofcourse she uses really FLAT lighting.
Hope that may help someone..
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Still Nothing on this thread???
Strange...
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources