Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Which edition for novice using Photoshop3

Old 06-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Which edition for novice using Photoshop3

I have been an occasional user of Photoshop3 for 8 years and still have the hard copy manuals (one day I'll work through the tutorial ...). I now want to get seriously involved with restoring old family photographs.

I know there are 3 editions of Katrin Eisman's book and I see from posts to the forum that the original is more closely associated with Photoshop3 and the later editions with subsequent versions. I have no intention of upgrading as I use the programm so rarely and only for personal stuff.

Would someone familiar with the books advise me as to whether a secondhand copy of the first edition would be more use to me as it won't refer to features not on my program, or whether a later edition would be better, for example if they deal with topics not covered in the first book but still possible with features available on Photoshop3.

Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Re: Which edition for novice using Photoshop3

Content-wise each edition is pretty much the same, usually with some minor tuning or different example images, plus inclusion of how utilize features/functions specific to the version(s) of Photoshop within its scope.

The first edition would be the most appropriate one (based on PS6, I believe), since it is closest to PS3.

re: Thread title: "Which edition for novice using Photoshop3"

Caution: Most of the methods are not "novice" oriented. Katrin's books assume a fairly solid familiarity with Photoshop in general. Someone who only uses Photoshop occasionally and/or is not familiar and comfortable with its terminology may find it difficult to grasp the methods, topics, instructions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources