RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Dragan Video Tutorial

Old 09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Patron

Dragan Video Tutorial

Came across this video tutorial on the Dragan (like) Effect. The audio is not in English and is of poor quality. However, the video is good and is easy to follow.
http://www.savefile.com/files/60502
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 09-11-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 06:18 AM

nice one! thanks for sharing!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 06:44 AM

Question I have a question...

Why does people say "not in english" instead of the lenguaje it really is?

And another question: What leguaje does the talker of the video speak?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Patron

The message I received with the link to that video stated that the instructor was Brazillian. In listening to the audio, it sounds to me like it has some Polish or Russian or European words, but as you can tell the audio quality is pretty poor. Perhaps some other RP members can identify it. My comment about the video not being in English was NOT to imply that it should have been. It is just that almost all of the postings on this particular section of RP have tended to be in English. No offense intended in any way.
Fortunately, the video is easy to follow without any audio.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 09-15-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 09:53 AM

The first layer created is called "sombra". I believe this means shade in both portuguese and spanish. The second layer is called Olhos which is eyes in portuguese

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-15-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 09:01 AM

Yes, that is Brazilian portuguese.

I watched the video twice, first without sound and then with.
The commentaries of the artist do not add anything at all to what you can see just watching the action unroll.
The only thing that I picked up from the audio was that the shadow "sombra" layer was set to multiply.

Although I did like the final image, I would certainly take issue with a few things that he did:
- No masks! I can't remember the last time I used the eraser. I would have much preferred seeing him mask the eyes and not just rub them out;
- In the same vein, the Burn and Dodge were applied directly to the image. In general I would advise, at least, on making a copy of the layer first;
- Brightness / Contrast: While for a "Dragan" type technique you may not worry too much about clipping the highlights and shadows, this is also a very dangerous tool to use;

If anybody has any doubts about any part of the video, I'll be glad to help (as always).

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Patron

Hi Ro, your observations and advice are very sound. As I went through the process to try it on one of my images, I instinctively added adjustment layers for any done to the background layer after the initial selection. Clipping during a levels adjustment usually has more adverse results than in the image used in the video. There is a point early in the process where the instructor uses a Levels to build contrast by compressing the histogram and immediately follows it with an S-Curve to boost the midtone contrast. Both of those could have been accomplished with a single Z+S curve adjustment layer.
Overall the concept and approach is good and should be tweaked for each image that it is applied to.
Thanks for confirming the language of the audio.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 AM

murray, thank you for posting that. i too would like to know what he used to make that video. so much more could be done in tutorials with video. and yes, the words dont matter a bit here.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 10:32 AM

Being new to photoshop I have two questions:

- In the beginning of the video, he Selected - color range - and he then passed the eye dropper on picture at the collar and then clicked the same area in the dialog box. Why this point on the collar? It looked gray..was this the reason?

Near the end I'm not clear on how he created layer 2. He went to the move tool then to the levels and then layer 2 was created where he worked on the eyes. Again, I am not sure how this layer 2 was created.

Comments...

- Maybe this is or isn't how the real effect is created, but I did find the approach very interesting. One I would not have thought of, but one I can now used to experiment with...I believe that is want the majority of those who ask how to obtain an effect are looking for.

Thanks for sharing...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Patron

Skydog, The collar was one of the darkest colors in the image. I believe the artist was trying to capture that area in his selection along with the rest of the background. When using the Select>Color Range, sometimes it is easier to select your range by clicking on the actual image, sometimes clicking on the grayscale preview window.

As for Layer 2, he copied and pasted in a copy of the original unmodified background layer. If this were my own process, I would have used adjustment layers and left the original background unmodified.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources