RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Video Editor freeware suggestions?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM

Video Editor freeware suggestions?

Hi,

With my apologies in advance. This is pushing the outer limits of the RetouchPro forum, ... but since so many of you are knowledgeable beyond the still format, please share if you have a suggestion.

My Nikon 3700 takes Quicktime .MOV files that I'd like to combine as motion with stills in a slide show, but I need an editor.

Can anyone suggest a free video editor that will allow trimming at ends and in the middle of motion sequences?

A second issue is that many editors do not handle .MOV files. Can anyone suggest a free program to convert files from .MOV to .AVI or similar?

P.S. LOVED the RetouchPro "Favorite Utilities" page. Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 01:28 PM

Re: Video Editor freeware suggestions?

hi,
hi have you tried your windows movie maker... it right there inyour system, it allow you to insert and trim flim clips, and stills and a few other things....

now as far as free converters... don't have much experience with those.. i have a couple of editor programs that can w ide varitey of formats... but you might want to look at this program..... it free and can convert between a variety of different formats.... including move and avi ....
http://www.download.com/Any-Video-Co...l?tag=lst-0-10

in this situation your work flow would be...
convert your move to avi or wmv ... then inport those into your window movie editor... do what ever editing you want and then save to a wmv format.... if the format is not acceptable then use your converter to to convert it to a format you want..!

note: if the converter is not what you want then take a look at some of the other free converters at download.com ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucile Davis View Post
Hi,

With my apologies in advance. This is pushing the outer limits of the RetouchPro forum, ... but since so many of you are knowledgeable beyond the still format, please share if you have a suggestion.

My Nikon 3700 takes Quicktime .MOV files that I'd like to combine as motion with stills in a slide show, but I need an editor.

Can anyone suggest a free video editor that will allow trimming at ends and in the middle of motion sequences?

A second issue is that many editors do not handle .MOV files. Can anyone suggest a free program to convert files from .MOV to .AVI or similar?

P.S. LOVED the RetouchPro "Favorite Utilities" page. Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Hi.

This may help.

http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 04:01 PM

Windows Movie Maker doesn't support MOV (it supports: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv), but once you convert the clips to something it does support, it can be used to good advantage.

MPEG_StreamClip will convert from MOV to AVI and it's free. It does require that Quicktime be installed but I think you only need the free version of that. See: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip for more info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Lucile Davis; 07-23-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM

QT pro allows you to trim mov files but appl charges $20 for it i'm afraid, you could also try mpegstreamclip(free) if you're using a mac...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources