Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Slides to CD

Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Re: Slides to CD

a friend of mine use to have a coolscan and i was surprised how well the images looked and this was some time ago..i would imagine the latest coolscan would be even better..i have used a high-end flatbed for large format transperancies and the quality wasn't bad but nothing like what a drum scanner would give you..the few 35mm slides i tried on the flatbed were just ok...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 PM

I have used a macro lens to dup slides ( 2x2 )s ... Be careful of two things.

Be sure the film is flat or it will show and because of the shallow depth of
you may see a wavy image.

Be sure that all light comes from behind - any light falling on the front
of the slide will show will show up as a glare or a shine..

Good luck ....Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM

The Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED will run you about $1,200 but the results are nothing short of spectacular. You can get a batch slide feeder for another $500, but if you are only going to do your own slides, it may not be worth it. I use mine for my business and it's worth every dime. I can be restoring some of the slides at the same time others are scanning.

I charge around $1 per slide, but I always end up doing more restoration than I intend to. When I know I can make an image better, it's so hard not too! It may not be good business, time wise, but I do this because I love it.

I did a lot of research before starting and $1 per slide is really not bad if it's being well done. A lot of companies do a cheap job and give a cheap product. Don't use them. Some even send overseas! There are also companies that will charge as much as $3 per image, which is a little pricey for most people. My recommendation is, if you have the time and Photoshop skills to do a quality restoration of the scan, buy the scanner and do the work yourself.

If you don't want to take the time - and it really does take a lot of time - then do some research. A reputable company should be using this scanner or the step up. A lesser scanner will not give you the same results. Your slides should be looked over individually and at least minor tweaking done for that price. Make sure they do the work on site. Then send a minimal number of your less precious slides and see the kind of results that you get. If you are happy, you can always do the rest in batches to spread out the expense.

About shipping... remove the slides from the carousel holders and bundle them in groups of about 50 and rubber band them in both directions. I put a strip of paper around the bundle to make sure the bands don't press against the slides. (You can write the date on the paper.) Put the bundles in a zip loc bag, then put the bag(s) in a very sturdy box. There should be padding around the bags inside the box. Use FedEx or UPS so you can track your shipment and don't send ground. The longer it is in transit, the more chance there is of damage to the package. Sound like overkill? If they are lost or damaged, they are irreplaceable.

I recommend that you make sure whoever does your slides will do them to your satisfaction. You will only have this done once. If it is not done as well as possible, you will always regret it.

I know this is a really long post. Sorry. I'm very passionate about preserving memories like this. The other thing is storage. Always store your slides indoors, out of heat and dampness. I just did a batch of 2,300 slides that spent a couple of years stored in the barn! It made me so sick to see the damage. Mold will eat the emulsion and when that is gone, there is no bringing it back. Take care of your slides. The memories on them are so precious!

Last edited by bpurvis; 05-02-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM

Sorry, I just noticed that this was an old post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources