RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Slides to CD

Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Slides to CD

Last week my mother gave me all my dad's slides to have. Total of 1200 slides that have my life story on them as well as my brother and sisters. I thought it would be nice to have them put on CD until I got a quote from a local camera shop of .75 each slide. Is this about normal costs or should I look elsewhere? I really didn't give cost much thought until I did the math and wow it really is a lot of money. Any suggestions?

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Re: Slides to CD

photo cd scans once cost $1 a piece and they weren't very good, then kodak tried pro photo cd scans and i think they were $5 an image..they weren't too bad for the price, you may want to consider getting a slide scanner if you're going to scan that many images...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 AM

Assuming .75 - 1.00 per services will give you less than stellar results... do you have access to a digital SLR with a macro lens? 1200 x .75 = $900 and you'd most likely be spending more than that on a DSLR, lens, tripod and light table if you don't already have those things and wanted to go that route but the results should be quite nice if you're good with a camera (or good with google to find tips on settings and techniques) and it's WAY faster than scanning. If you have a decent digital camera you could try experimenting just to see the results you get. Being able to focus on the slide film itself close to the lens (macro) without lens distortion is the key.

A 35mm film frame is 24mm x 36mm or .95" x 1.42" roughly. An 8 megapixel image is 3456x2304 pixels. So if you fill the camera frame with your slide image you're looking at a resolution of around 2400 ppi. A 10 megapixel camera only gets you up to 2500 ppi.

http://dpreview.com/ - best reviews of digital cameras anywhere IMO. They show results/samples (distortion, vignetting) of fixed lens cameras that have macro abilities.

I'll let everyone else handle the scanner recommendations since that's not my preferred method for digitizing mass quantities of photos or slides
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 AM

That's really not a bad quote, most of the ones that I have seen start at about $1.00, and that just for scanning and copying to a CD or DVD. No retouching. I usually do it for about $.50, for the same level of service.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 07:30 AM

You should look into the Epson 4990 scanner.

They cost around US$380 to $400 and come with an adapter that will scan 9 or 12 slides at a time.

It includes Digital ICE which will help you tremendously cleaning dust, dirt and scratches that the slides might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarll View Post
Last week my mother gave me all my dad's slides to have. Total of 1200 slides that have my life story on them as well as my brother and sisters. I thought it would be nice to have them put on CD until I got a quote from a local camera shop of .75 each slide. Is this about normal costs or should I look elsewhere? I really didn't give cost much thought until I did the math and wow it really is a lot of money. Any suggestions?

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 PM

when i first looked at the $0.75 tag i thought that sounds high. but, would i want to scan 1200 slides by hand? it would probably take 2 or 3 days at my aged pace

i like videosean's idea of taking that $900 and buying a dslr, but i've never used a camera to copy slides. does that work, videosean? how do you handle the transparent slide? oh, i re-looked... a light table. ok.

dedicated scanner is a very good option, especially one that will do bulk work and i'm guessing you could save hundreds and then have the hardware for future use. having the scanner itself will also give you some software for color correction and so on. i have one and like it, though it's not a batch loader, so single slide by slide is all i do.

and my last advice would be ask that shop you looked at if they do bulk and bulk pricing. you may be able to get a decent discount for that many slides.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Well at this point I am thinking about the SLR camera and some sort of bellows with a light table installed. Scanning is so slow and you are bound to the computer while scanning. With camera usage you can be somewhat portable and take it with you to another location. Another thing to remember is all these slides are in magazines with metal carriers on each slide. To scan them would require the carriers to be removed. If I just lay them on a light box I don't believe I woud have to take them out of the carriers. I love phtography but have never done close up or macro work as this would be so a new and learning experience for me also. Still taking suggestions so please offer comments.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 PM

well, there ya go then

be a bit careful here now. dont confuse macro with wide angle. you do not want wide angle here. you want macro. i ventured into macro years ago. and where i've forgotten quite a bit from back then, i do remember such things as extension adapters, reversing adapters and a special lens, i think sorry, it's been a while. but i'm sure someone here will have more exact data if macro is the way you want to go. oh, and i dont think you'd need a bellows with macro and a light table.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM

i say run a test with both a scanner and the macro setup to see which will give the best results...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM

This is a book I've been wanting to buy...just haven't had the time...http://www.amazon.com/Scanning-Negat...m_cr_pr_sims_t
Please let me know what you end up doing and the results you achieve. I too have many many slides and negatives I would like to convert. Currently I have been looking at the Coolscan from Nikon and the V750 flatbed from Epson. The flatbed could be used for more applications, but, from what I've read, the Coolscan provides better results. I think it is a trade off between cost, speed and quality.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources