RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Ask A Pro

Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Re: Ask A Pro

How do Heyrads threads always wind up somewhere else other than the Retouching Forum? Last time we had to go to work/jobs to learn about dodge and burn!

I really am having trouble with skin tones, they are either to pink or yellow and am having trouble getting them to a little browner/golden. I suspect that it has something to do with the digital capture as I never had as much problem when shooting film and a trusty color meter.

I also think you and Chris Tarantino should be in touch about what your putting out on DVD maybe you can put out something that compliments each other instead of being redundant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Conrad, I appreciate your asking for input here.
As you are a professional beauty/fashion retoucher, that is what I would like to see.
What I mean is, If I want a training video on color correction, for example, I can Google that and I will find scores. I watch a lot of Lynda and vtc and such and I would want to see the opposite of those from you. Instead of a 12 hour DVD with 60 videos one each on everything from the path tool to channel masking, I would much rather see you take an image from out of camera to ready for print.
You could do some different things in post like high tone this one or Orton that one, what have you but the main thing is face, hair, skin tone. What do you do to an image to get it ready to recieve those final touches.
Maybe do that with 6 different images, all different, blonde, red head, dark skin tones, great lighting, poor lighting. Poor lighting is important to me as not a pro but as a gwc. Nothing is so annoying as looking for a tutorial on making a selection for beauty retouching only to find that the guy is working on a 60 meg picture of a dark skinned brunette in dark blue dress shot against a white background with excellent lighting and not a trace of shadow. My pictures don't look like that, so my masks aren't that easy.
So I’d ask for the entire process on an image that you maybe only glanced at before filming. All of the planning and figuring and trying the patch tool and “oops, that won’t do, I’ll try d&b here”. Now that’s work flow! All the mistakes left in.

One thing more I can say is I really like Deke McClelland’s training, largely because he is not afraid to state a negative opinion of something Photoshop. He will come right out and say “never use the brightness contrast filter” (prior to cs3). That is something that I would love to gain from you, your experience. If there is a filter under the noise menu for example, that you have not used once in the passed 5 years I want to know that. I can remove it from my retouch menu arrangement and never look back and you will have saved me countless hours of screwing around with a filter that you already know isn’t good for anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM

Hey Blake...

I hear ya buddy... and I'll do what I can to help. Keep in mind that repairing bad photography with retouching is not my schtick... Dan Marguilis is the man for that job. I do, however, have to fix the random mistake from time to time but not bad lighting. The reason is that the photographers I work with are WORKING photographers and they have to know what they're doing. Not that you don't... your issue may be budget or what have you... My point is that I simply don't do that kind of retouching. I'm more of an artist, not a repair man

Cramming 12yrs of retouching into a DVD is not going to happen, but I'll do what I can to inspire you all to get better.

thanks

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Hi Conrad,

I've had a go at destaturating the skin and then adding colour, it looks awful! I think i'm barking up the wrong tree as the colours are not blended. Can you give me some steps to follow to clarify things?

Cheers

Jules
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Hey Jules...

I can't give you the skill or the eye you need darlin. The theory is the same... you desaturate, then resaturate... but blend the move in. 100% looks too fake. you have to know what you're doing with the color numbers to get it right. THAT'S how you learn. If I simply told you what numbers to put in, that would be wrong... every pic is different. All skin is not the same... you have to develop your eye now. Keep working at it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Desat: hue/sat layer - drop global saturation, usually 30-40%
Resat: curves layer - red goes up, blue goes down - but carefully.

Both layers masked to affect only the skin.

Thats how I usually get the tone I want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Conrad, I understand. I am not a pro and mostly I average one photo out of 2000 that doesn't need any retouching at all.
I saw that you retouched for playboy, I don't imagine there are a lot of amateur photog's running those shoots.
I would be very happy to see one video (make it on a perfect image if you must ) of one of your beauty retouches from start to finish in real time. (Not one of these youtube things where you see 12hrs compressed to 6 min.)
I’ve never seen a professional work before and I know I would be fascinated and learn a lot just watching. In my opinion, how you are doing what you are doing in the video is not nearly so important as why you choose that method in that order. If that makes sence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM

That's funny to me... retouching is not like watching a pole dancer... it's more like watching paint dry if you ask me... if it takes me 4hrs to retouch a beauty shot... who on earth would sit there and watch me do that... there has to be some kind of edit, don't you think?

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Hmmm, beer.
Nope, if we get bored we can fast forward to the good parts. Nope just record the whole thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM

What crazyfly said! I agree!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources