RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Ask A Pro

Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Re: Ask A Pro

I bet you do... do you guys have any idea how much I get for an hour's work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 AM

Talking Re: Ask A Pro

*drooling* no..... but I wish I did..... by experience that is.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 05:40 AM

Thread like this make me think faster - nowadays another hi-end retoucher is thinking about his book/dvd... something is going to happen... I wonder what... (are u Boys tired of dotting & brushing ??? Or maybe U arn't earn enough??? hihihihi )

Few days ago I propound Cricket1961- the same topic as Crazyflay said.
I think that if you really want to share with us your skills, record your work from beginning to end. This would be really exhibitionist ... I think that the first retoucher who will do it - will took all the prizes, and audience.

From the other hand: in XV age da Vinci said; "Never share your secrets with the throng - you will always be misunderstand"

I subscribe to this thread - I am really curious of every little world You (Heyard) said.

Last edited by stopa; 05-21-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 AM

hahahha.. i agree actually with crazyfly thats what all of us want to see from a professional high end retoucher... we will sit there and watch for hours... details.. we want details.. workflows... layers.. an example out from a raw image to a ready print one... if it is not much to ask...

thank you for sharing your knowledge....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 AM

I hear you all loud and clear... watching me retouch for 4hrs may answer a few questions, but may also confuse you terribly. "Why did he use Hue/Sat instead of color balance?", "why did he use a level instead of a curve?"... "wait, did he change brush sizes?". To be honest with you all, I'd probably end up creating more questions than solutions. I move very quickly and it's hard to keep up. You'd end up watching me do 4 things in a 15 second period and say... "what the hell did he just do?". And if I didn't verbalize every little move that I made I'd lose you... so you see, I can't just sit there and hit the record button. It wouldn't be fair to most viewers and a 4hr video of a flying cursor won't win me any oscars either

Remember my friends... crawl, walk, then run... the smartest way to become a great retoucher is to understand the theories behind each move and the thought that inspired it, not the move itself. This is so true if you ask anyone like myself or Cricket... I don't do the same thing, the same way on every image-- other than my prep and organizing. I see something and in a split second make a decision. I'm able to do that because for many years I spent 8hrs/day burning through images for a corp magazine dept... 40 images/day that need color and manipulation on a daily basis makes you quick.

Think of it like a martial art... Sure it's cool to watch somebody train. But if you don't understand the fighter's reasons for making a certain technique, it will all just be a blur. Understand the technique, how to use it. Then apply it, then forget it...

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Heyrad
In a way you have already answered my question on your thought process, quite interesting, although this type of retouching isnt quite my area, and I have no dreams to do it "for real" As i said just reading through the posts is really interesting And i think the most important thing to learn whichever your area is, is that no two images are the same and so there is not one single technique/workflow for all

but hows this for a idea if someone was to post a untouched image (hi res of course) and members then posted there thoughts and idea's for the image (not actually do it ) and see if you/or another pro agree with them or not ( all done in a friendly sort of way that is by every one ) surely a lot can be learnt that way

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

HIya Palms..

great idea... let me work on it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Super Idea Palms.

Guys, these kinds of Projects take a bit to pull together. Even after writing books and articles it still came as a shock to me when I started putting together the idea for a DVD how vastly different it is. It was not something that could be whipped together, even if it is going to be something like a 6 hour video of watching an image go from start to finish. It still needs to be made so that the majority can understand what is going on easily. And man the edits. They are a killer!

Chris

Last edited by cricket1961; 05-21-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
I hear you all loud and clear... watching me retouch for 4hrs may answer a few questions, but may also confuse you terribly. "Why did he use Hue/Sat instead of color balance?", "why did he use a level instead of a curve?"... "wait, did he change brush sizes?". To be honest with you all, I'd probably end up creating more questions than solutions. I move very quickly and it's hard to keep up. You'd end up watching me do 4 things in a 15 second period and say... "what the hell did he just do?". And if I didn't verbalize every little move that I made I'd lose you... so you see, I can't just sit there and hit the record button. It wouldn't be fair to most viewers and a 4hr video of a flying cursor won't win me any oscars either
I complete agree with you! And that is why Leonardo da Vinci said "Never share your secrets with the throng - you will always be misunderstand"
But believe me: if I have a chance to watch how do you work - even it will be a 4h of record, I would do it, again and again.

Quote:
Remember my friends... crawl, walk, then run... the smartest way to become a great retoucher is to understand the theories behind each move and the thought that inspired it, not the move itself. I'm able to do that because for many years I spent 8hrs/day burning through images for a corp magazine dept... 40 images/day that need color and manipulation on a daily basis makes you quick.
From my experience: I did my best retouch progress when I have to retouch 80 images of a swimsuits on location! Time was running fast- that is why I have to think, not only just dot-dot-dot... and suddenly BANG!!! barinvawe! It is only a light - nothing less nothing more...
That is why I agree with Heyrad, and all past and future craftman's: practice make you a master.
Quote:
Think of it like a martial art... Understand the technique, how to use it. Then apply it, then forget it...
You are my man!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 PM

AND may be a good idea to write a book together: Cricket and Heyard!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources