RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Ask A Pro

Old 05-17-2008, 01:10 PM

Ask A Pro

Hi All...

Conrad here... It's been a little while since I've posted here, but I'm back for a quick hello and a question. I'm thinking about adding tutorials here and on my website, but need to refine my selection of ideas. If any of you maniacs are interested in learning how to become a master retoucher, whether it be fashion/beauty or even still life... comment here. I'll see what I can do.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been retouching professionally in NY and LA for 12 yrs. My retouching can be seen on the covers of every major fashion mag and in some very prominent ad campaigns.

Remember kiddies... keep it brief and easy enough for everyone to understand. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Conrad
http://conraddigital.com

PS
Due to the sensitivity of my work and the privacy of my clients and their subjects, I can not release the before images on my site so please don't ask.

Last edited by heyrad; 05-17-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Re: Ask A Pro

Welcome back Conrad.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Welcome back Conrad.
I'm the one who would love to learn more and more.
Best regards,
Edgar
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Ok Edgar...

Let me ask you a question... what 3 issues would you like to have addressed in a Photoshop tutorial. keep in mind that revealing the meaning of life might take a few years to put together so let's start with the little pain in the butt issues you may have with color or a tool or masking or layer masks or what have you

-conrad
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 04:46 PM

skin tones! And step by step, start to finish of an commercial image.
Thank you JD
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Hi Conrad,

I'm having problems with matching skin colours and tones. For example shooting outdoors in the uk, models often get cold and hands and feet often turn purple/blue. Also when retouching faces I notice parts are yellow, red, etc. How can I match different parts of the skin?

At the moment I'm masking the skin and pulling magenta out of the red's in selective colour and adding/subtracting yellow which helps, but isn't quite getting the result im after.

Also custom gradient maps and getting a nice tan skin colour would be helpful also.

Cheers

Jules
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
skin tones! And step by step, start to finish of an commercial image.
Thank you JD
Well, that might be tough-- ask Chris, he'll agree. Celebs don't want people to see them before retouching and many of my advert clients would drop me in a heart beat if I posted their "less than lackluster" products for the world to see. So commercial images are tough. Not impossible, just tough. I work with many high end photographers and might be able to score an image to use of an unknown with his permission. Now, when you say skin tones... are you talking strictly color? Are you looking for RGB/CMYK reference values? Each image is different and has different problems so be a tad more specific please.

Also, keep in mind that a traditional commercial image could have as many as 40-50 adjustment and retouching layers... and would take about 100 pages to discuss... crawl, walk, run grasshopper
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=Julesj;193003]Hi Conrad,

At the moment I'm masking the skin and pulling magenta out of the red's in selective colour and adding/subtracting yellow which helps, but isn't quite getting the result im after.

Hi Jules,

I won't tell you exactly HOW to do it as each image is different.. but here's the philosophy. If the color of the skin varies that greatly and you want to bring all the skin tones to a similar place the best option is to remove all the color and reintroduce the color you want. If you do this in a "group" you can adjust opacity levels to blend into the original. Keep in mind that humans often have tonal variations in their skin... it makes the image look human. I personally don't like an image to look as if it's been altered. That's the hard part.

let me know how you progress

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
Well, that might be tough-- ask Chris, he'll agree. Celebs don't want people to see them before retouching and many of my advert clients would drop me in a heart beat if I posted their "less than lackluster" products for the world to see. So commercial images are tough. Not impossible, just tough. I work with many high end photographers and might be able to score an image to use of an unknown with his permission. Now, when you say skin tones... are you talking strictly color? Are you looking for RGB/CMYK reference values? Each image is different and has different problems so be a tad more specific please.

Also, keep in mind that a traditional commercial image could have as many as 40-50 adjustment and retouching layers... and would take about 100 pages to discuss... crawl, walk, run grasshopper
Hi Conrad,
I checked out your website. Beautiful images!
Color and tone. One problem I'm having is on some shots I'll get it where I'm fairly happy looking at it in Photoshop, but when I save off for web the contrast and color look very bad. Even B&W. Other make the transition better.
I know it's probably not possible but I'd love to see a step by step of something such as Butterfly Chocolate, Nokia, Jeff Reidel's Timberland.
You said Quote:
"Also, keep in mind that a traditional commercial image could have as many as 40-50 adjustment and retouching layers... and would take about 100 pages to discuss... crawl, walk, run grasshopper "
It could be broken down into an ongoing series. If it sounds like I'm begging; Well, Yeah, I am!
Great work.
Thanks, JD
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Hi Conrad.... I'm new around these parts.... and would be honored to learn from someone of your caliber! So, first... thank you for your time.....

My question is.... how to effectively mask hair when replacing a background?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources