RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

books books books - which is best?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 AM

books books books - which is best?

Hi all
I have decided it is time for more Photoshop books - yay!
I have both of Katrin Eismann's books (masking and retouching) and love them both. I want to learn more about colour, though, so am looking at Dan Margulis. Can anybody give me feedback about which of his books are essential and which overkill?

I am interested in the following:

1. Makeready (as I work in a pre-press environment and retouch exclusively for press and am interested in understanding more about trapping and dot gain)

2. Professional Photoshop (there are a few versions - I imagine the latest is best? Is that the one for Photoshop 7? Herewith links to 2 different books that seem similar - which is better?
Professional Photoshop: http://books.google.co.za/books?id=N...EaP2yATJ_4SRBw

Professional Photoshop 7:
http://books.google.co.za/books?id=6...J_4SRBw&pgis=1

3. Photoshop LAB Color

I know I am keen to learn about LAB, but am not sure if I shouldn't start with Professional Photoshop first. Does anyone know if this is necessary or not?
Thanks for your time
Karin
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Re: books books books - which is best?

Hi, Karin,

1) Since you are in pre-press, I highly recommend Makeready. It talks about things no other book does and it will help you get better printed results. This will set you apart from the pack with how your work prints. Pressmen will love you! It is out of print but copies are available and worth finding.

2) Professional Photoshop (Fifth Edition) replaced Photoshop 7 with enough changes to make it "The Classic Guide to Color Correction". I would highly recommend the current edition.

3) Not a necessity BUT undeniably the best choice to learn how to make radical colour shifts, trouble free sharpening techniques and repair troublesome images. It is worth learning after you have mastered the other two.

You have them in the right order. I hope this input helps.

Eileen
http://www.rgbcmyk.ca/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 AM

thanks eileen, that is all very helpfull
Karin
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 AM

Hi Eileen
Do you know which of these is the version you were referring to?
(can't seem to find print dates on the amazon site)
thanks
k

Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction (Paperback)

Professional Photoshop: Color Correction, Retouching, and Image Manipulation With Adobe Photoshop (Paperback)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM

For LAB color, I suggest the excellent book The Photoshop LAB color by Dan Margulis

The following books could be quite usefull to understand digital printing and Print Design:
-Mastering Digital Printing by Harald Johnson

-Mastering Photoshop CS3 for Print Design and Production by Ted LoCascio (Sybex) (It can be usefull with other versions of Photoshop such as CS2, CS4 and even CS)

Photoshop 7 is quite outdated, we are now with v11 (CS4)...Anyway the Dan Margulis book on Color Correction is on 5th edition and is a very good reference
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Hi,

I find Deke McLelland's books extremely helpful. Ever since his first Photoshop Bibles from about Photoshop 5, I've been an ardent follower... his tone of voice and easy reading style makes it a pleasure rather than a chore to digest.

see his website here

http://www.deke.com/

Good Luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks a million. Very useful indeed. I've taken a quick look at the links and I think this could be quite an interesting path to follow. Once again thankyou very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broto View Post
For LAB color, I suggest the excellent book The Photoshop LAB color by Dan Margulis
But be aware that his work starts out with simple to understand information, but then drops into complex and deep concepts. Not for the weak of heart, but well worth it if you invest the time and study it will require!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources