RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Photoshop CS4 Basics Book?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Photoshop CS4 Basics Book?

Hi, I'm looking for a basic Photoshop CS4 (extended edition) book that teaches each of the tools and how to use them. I prefer a book because i'm often away from the computer and also just like books. I don't necessarily need a certain "style" learning book, just a beginners edition. It doesn't have to have full color pictures or anything, but I'd like it to explain all the features. I seem to comprehend more when I'm reading and then go to practice on the computer. Also i'd like some magazine recommendations that i can subscribe to. So far I only have one magazine called "Photoshop Retouch- How to Become Perfect", which I like but only one issue has been published in January.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Re: Photoshop CS4 Basics Book?

For learning the process and tools (although not updated for CS4) everyone here generally recommends the same book to learn a very good overall process: Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (Third Edition), by Katrin Eismann, via New Riders publishing, 2006. The book contains a very good layout, hundreds of practice images, step by step procedures. (The book was published three times, so be sure to get the third edition.) While the book references Photoshop, it is easily applied to Paint Shop Pro.

You should also consider her sister book to clarify layers and masking: Photoshop Masking & Compositing, New Riders publishing, 2005.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM

Thanks, i'll probably buy both at the same time if i can. That's great that there are practice images and a step by step guide. All the books i've found at the bookstore are only text so I'm probably going to have to order them. I'm really surprised not alot of books have been written about cs4, most are for cs3, so i am guessing there was not a big change in the editions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Personally I think "Classroom in a book" is really good for learning Photoshop basics. There is a CS4 version. Eismann's books are great for the 2nd step of learning masking and retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasturtium View Post
Eismann's books are great for the 2nd step of learning masking and retouching.
That's a good point. Depending on what you really want to know (or need to) up front, Katrin's books will not teach you each tool within PS. They do teach you the ones that are most important to the processes she discusses... and teach them in quite a bit of detail. So, the books are absolutely worth it. But, you may also need another, like the one Nasturtium recommends.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 PM

Hi Pumpkin,
It didn't sound like you were looking for a book that was specifically for retouching. If you were just looking for a good book for learning CS4, check out "Photoshop CS4 for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. Much easier to follow and better organized than most other Photoshop books, plus he gives you lessons on things that are actually useful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks! I'm looking to learn all the different tool function or basically what each tool means.
I will check out "classroom in a book" and "photoshop CS4 for Digital photographers" looking especially at the second book because it is CS4 version. It will save me some time learning the different terms they are using for different tools.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources