RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Photo Restoration Classes

Old 06-05-2002, 07:41 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jakaleena
[B]

What I had actually considered was to also offer an alternative - to be able to "test in" to the class. Just offer a basic test to determine if the person had enough basic skills to get along without holding up the pace.

Personally, I think that's an excellent idea. My wife dropped out of high school, then later in life she took a college entrance exam. She passed with flying colors, studied for a nursing degree, and went through college on the dean's list. So in my opinion, taking a class doesn't mean a whole lot. With computers it probably means a lot less than it did in her case.

You could also make it very clear that if anyone takes the class, they should expect it to progress at a certain level. Just my thoughts.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 08:11 PM

Ed,

Sounds like your wife was in a very similar situation to mine. I graduated from high school, but only barely (I was a "D" student), and I hated every minute of it.

I started college almost 20 years to the day after my HS graduation. In college, I was president of the honor society chapter and editor of the literary magazine. I received several recognition awards and graduated with honors.

I am also very aware that the physical taking of a class can often mean very little... I was labeled "stupid" very early in life and practically abandoned by my teachers as a hopeless case. And, I've been in classes where a one-braincell-wonder of a classmate was getting a passing grade but absolutely NO ONE could figure out HOW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 02:35 PM

Hi all

Well I'm afraid I didn't have time to read EVERYTHING in this thread but I tried to skim most of it. There are lots of great ideas and comments.

First off, from having worked at a University be warned that you have to really want to teach a class for the love of it. You will spend hours and hours of free time devoted to preparation and the monetary payback is minimal. Not naming names but a semester of classes (that's like 3 1/2 months or so), 2 hours twice a week is paid a wopping $1,000. With prep time, grading, lab time and extra help it's not much money per hour. :Bawling:

That said.....Definently start the class with basic care and handling and storage of photographs. You will have to make it just the key points. It takes me four or more hours to teach the basics properly and you won't be able to keep them interested for that much time because that's not what they thought they signed on for!

Be sure to emphasize how to put a photograph into a flatbed scanner without causing damage! You'd be amazed how many people will jam a curled photo in there and slam the lid! Other ideas- avoiding finger prints, cleaning a flatbed (and making sure it is completely dry before inserting a photo), dusting prints carefully, identifying items that shouldn't be scanned.

I don't think this type of class is the place to get into historical processes. I've taken many classes and even taught one or two and besides needing a lot of experience to distinguish the subtle difference between some processes, it is really a course unto it's own requiring a ton of examples and a lot of time.

As stated many times...I think it is essential that a retouch class follow some previous classes or proof of a general level of understanding (lots of self-taught computer people out there). Specifically an introduction to computers and at least a basic Photoshop class. The list of skills you mentioned sounds like a good idea as well. It's impossible for everyone to be at the same level but you could spend two hours just explaining the basics of the tool box...or even worse how to load and save a file.

I like the idea of a sample file for everyone to work on for the skills. That is the nice thing about the Challenges on this site is everyone can compare their projects with others and see how doing it slightly different gives a different result. Maybe at certain intervals you could have a critque where everyone can look at them and discuss how they came up with the results.

Have a final project that is a photograph of the students choosing (approved by you...so you know it is doable and not above and beyond). This gives them something to go home with at the end of the course. Again have a critque. I know a lot of students hate them (I know I didn't like it much in Art school) but it gives everyone an opportunity to learn from each other and see a variety of approaches. Not to mention anyone who decided to go into business will need the experience because the client will be seeing the final results and critquing it anyway.

Certainly a retouching class could be a lot of fun but also a lot of work.

I have to say at first I thought like may others that it could narrow an already small market but I'm not sure that 10-20 people are going to have much effect. Most of them will be people just interested in playing with photographs, many will either get bored or find it too hard and in the end there maybe one or two people that really have the ability and the love for it. Likely they were already on the right track and just needed a course to hone their skills!

I am very interested to see what the final course outline looks like!!!!

Well that's my two cents (U.S) (and what seems like an essay...) for today.

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 02:50 PM

Heather!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Yep, I realize that teaching a class isn't going to make me rich. But I really do like teaching people things, and I think it would be really fun to try and pass on a little bit about restoring photos to people who might be interested. There's really no place around here that anyone can go and learn something like that, and especially not just a little "hobby" type class. I just picked up some Photoshop books from the local library, and every single one of them had to be brought in on inter library loan! All of that, coupled with the fact that the genealogical society meetings locally are always packed with people, many of whom would like to fix their photos but don't quite know how - well, I just thought that a little class like this might be a good thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 02:01 AM

Hey Jak, I thought I'd resurrect this thread to hear if you've made any progress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 07:39 AM

Actually, I was just thinking about it the other day. Unfortunately I haven't gotten anywhere with it as I've been called back to work in the real world. I'm also up for a promotion in January, so lately there has been little time for any side ventures.

I had hoped to remain strictly self employed, but the benefit package offered was too good to pass up...

Ah well, maybe someday...

Thanks for asking, Al.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 08:00 AM

Luck with the new package, Jak. Bit of a pity though, after all the thought you put into the prospective course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Re: Photo Restoration Classes

Hello Jakaleena, I think your ideas is one of the greatest thing I have heard in a long time I am in Illinois and I would be breaking down your door to be the first one in your class if you ever get this off the ground (hopefully it will be on line or in a town close to me) please email me. The problem is that there are so many books on the subject and so many dvd’s etc that as a beginner it become mind blowing, what to buy were to start then the books only go so far and stop leaving you even more confuesed so that you have to keep buying tapes and books. Then each restoration project is different but there has to be a SOP (standard operating procedure) and that’s what confuses beginner like myself. I hope this is the proper place to asked this but what are some of the better books or tapes on this subject restoration? How does a beginner like myself decide what to buy, and what is a waste of time? I am attaching a project that I have been working on for a month and all the books that I have purchased done even come close to helping, Please help this senior who would enjoy doing this (me) on my fixed income thank you.

Last edited by MrRicky1947; 08-04-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: uploading photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Patron

Re: Photo Restoration Classes

MrRicky1947, the latest date on this post was nine years ago!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources