RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Dan Margulis - Professional photoshop:

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Question Dan Margulis - Professional photoshop:

Hi guys,
So I recently purchased this (as kindle), I'm one chapter in and it is more complex than my neuroscience textbooks.

Any recommended stepping stones? Doesn't need to be a google web page, I'm happy to pay (but not for a book in non kindle form). I'm generally a clever person and like things accordingly, i.e. no 10min videos to show and reshow how to use one simple tool.

I have no knowledge of CMYK, I only just then discovered there was such a thing as LAB, and I get the feeling those spaces/modes/? will be important through the rest of this book.

Thanks,
Anthony
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Re: Dan Margulis - Professional photoshop:

it's better to start with his lab book. There are detailed threads about both books at DGrin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I just saw him at Photoshop World Vegas and he operates on a whole different level... No Tips and Tricks from him!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 AM

start here;

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18203
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the pointers. Seems like the threads over there aren't overly helpful in comprehending the book. As much as I despise non ebooks, I think I'll succumb and get the Lab book.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Anthony
You never did mention what aspects of Photoshop you are trying to learn of your present level with Photoshop. Depending on your answer I might suggest other books than either of Dan's books. If you are trying to learn about "Dan" (and you do learn a lot about Dan) and his approaches then his books are good. If you want less about Dan and more about Photoshop then that is another matter. Also, do you like the in depth per tool approach or tip and tricks types of approach for learning. Tons of books, just trying to zoom in to your style of learning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Hi John,

I don't care much about being able to look at a monochrome image and guess what channel it is as per his quiz in Ch 1, and I don't yet see a huge advantage in using lab or cmyk for colour correction that achieves something that white balance and vibrance in Lightroom/ACR cannot (this may be a misguided assumption I know), but what's driven me to Dan's books, is that I think there are some powerful sharpening and contrast concepts to be learned.
Without a doubt, I'm an in depth learner.

I'd like to learn lots more than the above, but one concept at a time will do me.

I've got Kelby's CS5 book, and learned a few useful things from it, but that's not my kind of book. I don't have any other photoshop books so can't benchmark anything else as to what I'm after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Based on your inputs I would suggest Martin Evening's book Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photogaphers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/024...ce-full-site=1

Check out samples of book from link on Amazon. Lots of breadth and depth and less author inserted personality than dan's books. Might be a good match other than I don't know if there is an electronic version
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrobinson View Post
Hi guys,
So I recently purchased this (as kindle), I'm one chapter in and it is more complex than my neuroscience textbooks.
Some love his style of writing. For me, its just confusing. So you’re not alone.

As asked, what are you trying to learn? Its possible this book isn’t appropriate even if easy to digest.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources