Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

How did you learn the "soft skills" of retouching?

Old 08-11-2002, 04:43 AM
I did a general introduction to pencil drawing last year, it was only over a weekend but gave a lot of good insights into the subject. A couple of the people on the course were absolute 'naturals' when they got a pencil in their hand, having a grasp of form and perspective when doing some of the set work drawing of the set objects etc. The ambiance of the class was upset somewhat by oaths and curses as I lacking similar gifts burned through a crate of erasers !
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 01:19 PM
That part of the game is strictly what pleases my eye. If I make an adjustment to the contrast or color, etc. I go by how it affects me. I got numerous hints from pros in the field by books, videos etc but it usually boils down to what is pleasing to my eye.

I think you will find that it's different for each of us. Look at the restoration challenges and you will see the different way each of us thinks they would like to see the finished product. Some will leave cracking and discoloring in a bit to help retain the aged look while others will blast the image into the 21st century with full color and clean lines. It's all in the artists eye at the time and what they want to achieve in thier work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources