Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Starting a Restoration Course

Old 11-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Don't forget to mention your 1000+ teacher's assistants
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 11:45 PM
I missed this one somehow...

From a teaching standpoint, I would like to keep the class small, so I would guess that 20 people would be the max. Tuition wise, I would like about 150 students.
20 is a good number if you're on your own in a computer lab. Any more, and you'll end up losing many of your students (says he speaking from experience )

Also, if you're wanting to take the course to the printing stage, make sure the lab has a decent printer.

As far as testing computer skill level is concerned, the best is sitting them in front of a computer and asking them to type a passage into a word processor. If your passage is complex enough, you will get a good idea of their capabilities.

Luck with the interview
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 12:02 AM
Hi Vikki,

Doesn't sound like you've forgotten anything, good luck on your interview!! I'll be very interested to hear how this all works out. I've done some computer tutoring and things like that and I've found that teaching can actually be a very interesting learning experience. you'll sometimes pick up things you wouldn't have thought of before, and it really reinforces what you've already learned. you really know that you understand a technique or whatever completely if you can teach it well to somebody else.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 03:00 PM
The interview went great!!
The director was very enthusiastic. He is even considering putting my course on the cover of an upcoming brochure!
We discussed plans to have the local newspaper do a feature story, which he will arrange. This will help promote their programs, as well as mine.
My class will be added to the "Spring" (February) schedule.
He recommended 1 night a week, instead of two, as many people find it hard to get two free nights a week. Class minimum is 6, and maximum (because of computers) is 12.
There are a few other items to be worked out, but all in all it's a go.
Now, hopefully there is an interest in this area!
Stay tuned.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Many Congrates

It sounds like all the hard work has paid off.

An advertisement will also help your business so you win all round - go get yourself a beer or wine to celebrate - you deserve it.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 03:36 PM
Sounds great Vikki! It's nice to see the director has enthusiasm...your presentation and hard work must have really paid off. 6-12 students sounds like a perfect number to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Congratulations Vikki. I knew it would be a positive meeting for you. Consider your first teaching job a learning experience, which it is sure to be.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 04:04 PM

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you and for the college! Wow - nice to have the director so enthusiastic. That will really help with the advertising!

If the catalog has an "instructor bio" section, you might want to see if they will include your website. (Also in the newspaper ads.) That way, people will be able to visually see what the course description is talking about.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all your continued support, it's great!

I just remembered something that might be worth noting.
Can you believe, I somehow managed to smear a line of coffee across my application! (Murphy's Law?)Nice first impression, huh? Luckily, the director didn't spend more than 60 seconds looking at it. He focused his attention on the course outline I had prepared.
He said that 95% of the instructors he interviews, don't have any plans or even ideas about how they will teach the class. He said he was impressed that I was organized and had everything planned out. (which probably makes his job much easier).
We restorers must be a different breed. Everyone here discussed a course plan, right away!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 05:03 PM

This is my first post here, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I'm presently in a photoshop photo restoration course at my local junior college. They generally have two classes per semester and both classes are full at the start with 35 seats. Pre req were a photoshop beginners cource and also a intermediate course. Check out computer & informational sciences section there are course outlines and descriptions there. One instructor there boasted that the "JC" has the largest assortment of adobe training classes in the country.

Good Luck!
Craig Carlson
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources