Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Tutorial video likes/dislikes

Old 03-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
For some time now I've been toying with the idea of publishing some tutorial videos on CD. Each would be about an hour long (that's all that will fit on a CD at a decent resolution).
That's not accurate, if you use good codecs.

My videos are 800x600, high quality audio and video (I don't like scratchy, tinny sounding audio; softness or compression artifacts eviident in my video). I use the Pro version of Sorenson 3 for video and MPEG4 for audio (mono, 22050 kHz).

I use Sorenson Squeeze 4 Compression Suite, which gives me access to the Pro version of Sorenson 3, so I get a little better compression that you will with something like Camtasia, Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut, iMovie, etc. There not all that much difference in terms of size, hoiwever. Most of the difference is in the quality of the resulting video.

I find that I get approximately 2MB per minute for my video. I figure a CD can hold approximately 4 hours of video and still have 150 MB or so for sample files, .PDFs, etc.

I have given a lot of thought to this, because I do intend to offer some CDs and a digital journal. Distribution on DVD is higher maintenance and more costly than CD distribution. With DVDs, you have incompatibility issues between +R and -R to wrestle with *OR* you need to pay to have a glass master made and DVD-ROMs cut. CDs burn a lot faster, too. Just a couple of minutes with a high speed drive.

If you're video is so large, you can only fit an hour on a CD, you might need to adjust your settings. I use a 10fps rate with keyframes every 80 frames.

If you run at DV rate, you will consume a lot more space than is required simply to animate screen captures and add titling, highlights, etc. 3x the space. You don't need 30 fps.

For Photoshop, I find an 800x600 window works well. It provides enough room for the media player to display as well as the movie itself.

Quicktime is a good choice. Mac and Linux people are often reluctant to use a Windows media player. PC people will usually be familiar with Quicktime and not care if it comes from Apple.

I do recommend that you get Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite. The Pro version of Sorenson 3 codec is much better at compressing files. I use 100% quality, so I get no visible artifacts whatsoever.

Try to capture your video at the same size you will distribute. My minimized Photoshop environment is 800x600. I drag over any palettes I need/want for a video. My final video size is also 800x600. No resampling that way, which would soften a video even faster than it does with photographic images.

This is stuff I have learned from many hours and many attempts at cutting training videos, trying to get the screen capture to be just as sharp as the original and the audio quality is high.

I use Camtasia Studio from Techsmith for my video capture, Adobe Audition for my audio editing, and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 for editing/transitions/etc.

For sound, I use a Samson Q7 mic, a Tascom USB Mixer, a tube preamp, and Monster cables to tie it all together. I take it on the road with me. It's all small. My mic stand and boom arm goes in a Pelican bag. I often cut video in a hotel room at night.

Have fun!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Doug, You might look at this method of dissemination.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I like the sound of your voice.

Really, I do.

The best part of Russel Brown's videos, is his personality, and voice.

After viewing your site tutorial video, I really think you should start making some video on restoration, and retouching.

I for one would be very interested.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources