RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Tutorial video likes/dislikes

Old 02-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Janitor

Tutorial video likes/dislikes

For some time now I've been toying with the idea of publishing some tutorial videos on CD. Each would be about an hour long (that's all that will fit on a CD at a decent resolution). My initial concept would be that each video would cover one single restoration/retouching job from start to finish.

I have most of the technical details worked out, but the area I'm clueless in is what users want/expect/like/dislike about tutorial videos in general.

Perhaps you could take a minute and share your experiences with tutorial videos. I'm thinking more about delivery than content, but all comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2004, 10:07 AM

For me - availability. So many video/dvd/cd tutorials are only available in the US. Please make them available to all.

I have membership of the Linda.com on-line tutorial system and find them very easy to follow - so something on the lines of these and prefereably with practice files.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2004, 07:17 PM

restoration cd's

Hi Doug -
I would love to own (many) video tutorials that restore a SINGLE photograph from start to finish. For some reason I just don't connect with the entire restoration process when multiple techniques could be used on a single photo, but the same techniques are used on several photos. Does that make any sense?
Understanding is aided when the technique is explained. So often tutorials suggest "this process", ok, but why am I doing this? I realize there is an art associated with restoration, and no one solution fits all problems, but give some thought to explaining why this method was selected from all of the possible solutions.
Debby

[QUOTE=Doug Nelson]For some time now I've been toying with the idea of publishing some tutorial videos on CD. ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2004, 08:30 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
We've all seen a lot of tutorials where we're told to do this and this to get to this. If the viewer is told *why* it is done in a particular way, and just what happens when you do it, the tutorial gains much more value, and the viewer gets more out of it. So it's not only the *how*, but also the *why* that counts in my book.

Would there be a way to make a downloadable zipped version, maybe for Quicktime, or would that be out of the question? If it could be done, you could make it once, and not worry about making CDs or whatever. That would also take care of the availability problem.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Janitor

Thanks for the input so far. Keep the ideas coming.

I like the idea of including the files. And explaining the "why" is a big part of why I'm considering doing this in the first place.

As for making them downloadable, that kind of defeats my profit incentive
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 09:39 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
As for making them downloadable, that kind of defeats my profit incentive
Couldn't you make it where the file couldn't be opened without a "key", which you would provide after receiving payment?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 10:01 AM

Or send the access to the files only after payment received. That is the way a lot of shareware is done.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Janitor

Taking into consideration the stuff I hate about video tutorials (tiny screen, jerky motion, compression artifacts) I'll be lucky to get one hour onto 1 CD, and I doubt anyone wants a 700meg download
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 10:16 PM

I can only go by the Lynda.com videos but on that site 10mins of video = 20Mb download. The video format is Quicktime.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 03:09 AM
Janitor

I'm also looking at Quicktime, though it appears she uses about half the framerate I was thinking of.

I notice she captures a 1024x788 interface and shrinks it down. I was thinking about using a 800x600 interface and leaving it actual size.

Any preferences?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources