RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Julieanne Kost's Photoshop Quickstart CD set

Old 10-06-2001, 05:04 PM

Julieanne Kost's Photoshop Quickstart CD set

OK here's another attempt to write a review.
I recently upgraded to Photoshop 6 from 5.5. As a special incentive where I purchased it, I got a choice of either Katrin Eismannís book of Photoshop Restoration & Retouching or a 4 CD set of Julieanne Kostís Photoshop Quickstart. The choice was simple since I already had Katrinís book.

This CD set was on the basics of Photoshop using version 6 and demonstrating all the new features of 6 as well as basic things in Photoshop. Although, I pretty much new the basics of Photoshop from using it for 4 years, I didnít have all the ins and outs worked out in the newest version. I found this CD set very informative. I learned a surprising amount of new things I hadnít known before and discovered that I liked the CDs for learning as well as the books. First of all, I could run Photoshop on half my monitor with Quick Time running the CD lesson next to it. I could stop it and repeat things and work along with the CD if I wanted to as I would a book. I also liked hearing the lessons as well as seeing as things were being done. Sometimes in a book things are not as clear as seeing each step visually done and explained. There were techniques and shortcuts that I had never known about and was amazed at some things even though this was a beginnerís lesson.

The cost of this CD set is $99 and I think especially for the beginner, itís worth every penny because you have an excellent reference and she hits all the topics. Weighing it out vs. a class I would say it definitely holds itís own.

There are 12 lessons (3 to a CD) plus layered psd files to download and work along with the lessons. Hereís a list of the lessons:
System Setup (a definite must know)
Tool Overview (lots of new tools and new places to put them in version 6)
Color Settings and Prefs (very informative for matching your printer and other color spaces and the differences are explained)
File sizes (good for those confused on resolution issues)
Basic Layers (lots of new version 6 stuff here)
Digital Darkroom Tools (covers the liquefy command and how to magnify before you go to liquefy)
Basic Collage Technique (works a lot with layer masks and layer sets)
Basic Selections (great short cuts I didnít know before)
Painterly Effects (learned a lot of new things in this one)
Typography Tools (for newbies to version 6 this is real informative)
Saving Files (learned some things here also)
Printing (I will go back to review this one, very fascinating)

I may hesitate on the price some but most of the books are running $50 and up so it definitely is competitive and I got just as much from this as I did some books I bought. I will definitely refer to it a lot while learning version 6ís buttons and whistles.
If you are interested, you can find these and others with specialized training at www.deancollins.com There may even be places to get them cheaper if you check around or see if you can get them through the library even.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 05:16 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Excellent review Debbie. One note about Dean Collins. I first heard about him in the 70's. He is a master of lighting techniques, and he used to write a column for Peterson's Photographic in the 70's (as well as making videos on lighting). He was the reason I subscribed to the magazine, and he is an excellent teacher. If he knows Photoshop the way he knows light, I don't think he can be beat!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 06:31 PM

I didn't know that Ed. He has some Photography and Photoshop Cds on that site that he teaches so what you said makes sense. Thanks for the information and support.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 07:12 PM
Janitor

Thanks for the review. It's our first CD-ROM tutorial review, I believe.

If anyone's listening, we could use more
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 07:39 PM

Excellent review, Dj. Sounds like the CD set is well worth checking into. Thanks for the link and the info! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 07:59 PM

I'm always unsure of myself when I try these reviews. You never know if you are recommending something you like but someone else won't. Thanks for the encouragement.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 09:55 PM

Ahh now, Dj, We're responsible for our own actions and if someone runs right out and buys something without checking it out first, they have only themselves to blame. Reviews such as you are doing are a great help in deciding what to buy and what to stay away from. Many "reviews" are written by folks with hidden agenda's( Like free copies of the stuff reviewed, etc...I think you get the picture). Hearing from an everyday type person is of far more value to all us out here. Hope other folks begin sending some reviews also. Anyhow, keep up the good work! It is useful and informative. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 10:29 PM

Thanks Tom. For a cow with specs, you're a real sweatheart.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2001, 05:05 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Tom hit it right on the head. You are unbiased aren't you Debbie?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2001, 05:57 PM

I think so but then again how do I know I'm not being biased about my being unbiased? Just kidding
DJ

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 10-07-2001 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources