RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Something different

Old 04-24-2005, 05:42 PM

Something different

Have been trying out something different.....buildings instead of flowers.
Comments please........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1905 copy (Small).jpg (83.0 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjJr
Have been trying out something different.....buildings instead of flowers.
Comments please........
It's good to try different subjects. If nothing else you can discover new techniques that way.

On this one because the attachment is so small, it's too hard to assess your results. Assuming Photoshop, you could try this... duplicate your image, flatten, size to about 8"x10" at 80 ppi and File > Save for Web. Reduce the Quality setting until the File Size is less than 100 KB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 PM

Looks like you're aiming for Pen and Ink. Nice effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 PM

I have resized the photo as you suggested Danny.... thanks for the tip.....hope it shows up better this time. I was trying for a pen and ink and am somewhat satisfied with the result although wish I could figure out how to have the lines a little bit darker. To me it still looks to much like a photo but will keep trying until I get it to where I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg church.jpg (91.2 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjJr
I have resized the photo as you suggested Danny.... thanks for the tip.....hope it shows up better this time. I was trying for a pen and ink and am somewhat satisfied with the result although wish I could figure out how to have the lines a little bit darker. To me it still looks to much like a photo but will keep trying until I get it to where I like it.
Definitely easier to see at this size...

Re: Making lines thicker
A couple ways come to mind. I'll assume you created the lines by applying Smart Blur / Edges only to a copy of the background. (If you didn't try it anyway, then CTRL + I to "invert" the result.

Options to "thicken up" the thin black:
1. Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic - This will give them a little more fullness. Optional followup to give the edges more crispness: Sharpen > Unsharp Mask or Image > Adjustments > Levels

2. Artistic > Poster Edges

3. Other > Filter > Minimum (radius = 1), followed by Edit > Fade. Use the Opacity setting to back off the effect.

re: Still looks too much like a photo
Golden nuggets that opened my eyes regarding what distinguishes photos from paintings:

1. Photos emphasize DETAIL. Paintings tend to have much less detail, in fact often times completely omit detail and only "suggest" it through shadow and/or form. There are a number of ways to "simplify" (reduce detail) including blurring, smudging, using filters such as Smart Blur (Normal), etc.

2. Properly exposed color photos capture all colors in a scene. Paintings tend to have a very limited color palette. It's hard to limit colors using Photoshop filters or commands. It can be done to some degree with Postereize or Cutout, but you don't have much control over the outcome. Command like Replace Color or Select > Color range can be used, but it's not necessarily an easy process to do (or undo).

3. Photos tend to be printed on photo paper, whereas canvas, fine art paper, etc. are used for paintings. Many traditional media can be digitally simulated using various texture effects.

If you haven't tried the Hayes Island Cafe method a try, I highly encourage you to do so... See the David Rowley tutorials here:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/3244-tutorials-photo-art-tutorials-links.html

Hope this is helpful.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 03:42 PM

What a lovely subject! I like the colors, composition and the mood.

Something I always struggle with is trying to decide if an image is crooked - the road out front looks slanted - but the fence looks ok - can't see the horizon. I always play with my photos and end up leaving it the way it was. I think it is a proportion thing that people with those ultra-expensive cameras with the bellows use to correct.

This might be addressed in Mr. Rahael's post - two things that strike me about it that look "unpainted". The darkest areas in the clouds have a definate border to them, while the rest are nicely feathered.

And at the fence, the posts for the lamps and the billboard sign blend in with the fence losing the 3d effect. I wonder if the shadows showing the separation between post and fence can be hand-drawn in (?)

Wish I had cool old buildings like that around here! Nice!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101