RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

My back gate

Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 PM

Dave,

You Rock!!! Those are simply magical. Thanks. My kids will get a huge kick out of them.

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 12:32 AM

What a wonderful view!
I couldn't resist having a go at this one.
The first thing I did was increase the image size, then I used various Art History Brush's, different sizes and opacities, and a bit of sharpening to finish off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gate.jpg (98.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 01:00 AM

great pictures and renderings!

duv, you've totally inspired me with that 2nd one to not even try to do one on this picture. you've already hit the mark so well

and annabel, this may answer your question a bit. the first bird is taken from your original post. the 2nd is one where i doubled the file size. the effect is pretty obvious.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg res-compare-1-k-1.jpg (89.9 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Elleth,

Beautiful! I love the brilliant colors. I know nothing about Art History Brushes. (So much to learn) Thanks

Craig,

Thanks for the explanation. I think I get it??? The thing is that I kept the bird on a separate layer and hadn't applied any artistic filter to him because when I did, he just looked like a blob. I'm guessing what you're trying to demonstrate to me is that whatever effect you apply will be more detailed, dense, concentrated on a larger file?

Thanks everyone for your efforts.

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2005, 02:18 PM

annabel,

when you resize an image like this, the pixels per inch stays the same, so, more bits are added to the image during the re-sizing. where one pixel was displaying something, now several are displaying the same thing, giving more detail. thus, you get the bird's back, for instance, looking smoother. and that means, if you then do any editing you get a finer look on the expanded image. if you were to sharpen both of those images the effect is different.

note also that the first bird is shown at a 12 to 1 zoom in, while the 2nd is at 6 to 1.

and, if you resize to a smaller size, bits are taken out giving you less detail.

basically, you can think of it as if you resize to larger you gain more resolution/detail, where if you resize to smaller, you lose resolution/detail. the easiest way to see this is prolly if you take a small image, like one of the avatar images in here, and then double the file size and compare the two.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 12:12 PM

Gotcha,

Thanks Craig for taking the time to offer such a detailed explanation. Really appreciate it. I'm continually impressed with the willingness of people here to help.

Thanks again
Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 PM

annabel,

you're welcome

and yes, i love it here too. helpful folks, great tutorials, fascinating works, and an envirionment that inspires one to do better without killing one in the process

there is actually more to know about resolutions, file sizes and all that if you're interested, but we start getting into math classes and computer science if we go much further

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Duv -- great idea! Alice is lucky enough to be back in Wonderland and find that it truly is Home. Beautiful renditions!

freddieanne, you've created such beautiful images, and many painterly modifications will also look lovely since they start with such a wonderful image.
You can try different artistic filters, different color balances and saturations, and end up with numerous different images -- all interesting and eye-catching in a slightly different way. Then start playing around with the Art History brush, and you'll have even more fun, and more choices. You can have a Saturday favorite, a Sunday favorite...

Thanks for sharing your delightful backyard and view.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2005, 08:12 PM

CJ,

Thank YOU for all your suggestions. It's sounds like I'll have to start learning about the Art History Brush. So much to learn....

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Annabel

Annabel

I shall take some pictures of my yard later your see how very lucky you are, i am moving from this place cos i am sick of seeing bricks. So when you see them your know why i am in aw with your pictures, and not kind words at all hun you have a talent its got to be appreciated!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101