RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Help me create something artistic..., with an unintentional silhouette?

Old 07-09-2005, 01:47 PM

Help me create something artistic..., with an unintentional silhouette?

Hi all!

I am slowly creating a page just from my son's wedding. For my first time out photographing a wedding, I am not too unhappy with the results. I wasn't the official photographer, these are just the shots taken as the groom's mom.

Have a look here » http://xerraireart.com/Photos/categories.php?cat_id=11

However, there was one moment that Enric and Miranda shared that looked so sweet, and I really goofed and it was way dark. However, I'd love to keep that moment in memory, somehow, in a soft, artistic, and creative way. I've been playing with the image, but am so out of creative juices of late. I'd love to see or hear your ideas to rescue the photo!

Any takers? If I did this right, the photo is attached, if not, the photo can be found here » http://www.xerraire.com/silhouette2.jpg

Thanks!
Barb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silhouette3.jpg (74.3 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 PM

there are two basic problems to this photo. one, like you said, it was taken too dark. ok, you know that. the other is that it's taken indoors against an outdoor light setting, giving a very dark area and a too light area.

so, the first thing shld probably be to balance these areas up a bit. for that you could use curves, or levels, or contrast/light, or a plugin like fast fix.

depending on how far you want to bring the lighting up, you're going to run into a noise problem due to this dark being brought up into the light. you can correct somewhat for that in several ways. you could soften more, noise reduce with edge preserving smooth or texture preserving smooth or run it through something like neat image or maybe use gausian blur.

the problem there is going to be loss of detail, however. so, it's going to be a balancing act between dark/light and detail/noise. by softening or gausian blur you can get a sort of dreamy effect, if that's what you want, and also reduce the noise. i didnt try neat image, but it might reduce the noise without too much loss of detail, but, i didnt try yet.

the problem i see is you bring up the light, gain the noise, reduce the noise, and lose detail or smoothness of texture. so, it's a bit of a trick and a compromise at times. i'm only using paint shop pro and maybe photoshop has something which can do this better. so, we'll see what the photoshop folks say.

in the meantime, you could play around with those effects i mentioned and see what you get. i wouldnt worry too much about being too creative on this. it's a great composition all by itself. the picture says it all

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 03:01 PM

Hi Barb,
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind or not, but I thought I would have a go at it.
First I did a levels adjustment on the image to bring out more detail, then I ran one of Mike Finns Portrait tool actions '"Misty Glow".
And that was it.took about 5 minutes.
I'm not sure where I got the action from, if I can find it I'll post it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misty-glow.jpg (99.1 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM

psp7

I used a couple of different masks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silhouette3elle.jpg (41.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg silhouette3a.jpg (83.4 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 08:02 PM

I know you asked for photo art, but this picture can be brought back to look like a photo too. I just did a shadow/highlight adjustment. Photo art isn't my thing, so I simply put a basic sandstone texture on the second example, and a mask on the third.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silhouette3revealed.jpg (61.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg silhouette3texture.jpg (98.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg silhouette3heart.jpg (97.6 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 PM

Nothing worse than the flash not going off.

This picture could be saved if you really wanted to. I’ve done a very quick restore on this and it could be made better.
However looking at your website you probably have enough good images

I would leave it as a silhouette. It could look good in a decent heart shaped frame

Caitlin has just posted while I was writing this. I’ve probably taken mine too light but I’ll post it anyway.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraKenLight.jpg (90.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CameraKen.jpg (91.6 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 08:24 PM

I really like that sillhouette Ken! As I was doing that heart shape I noticed their heads fitted the shape nicely - you've exploited that really well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 09:08 PM

This is going so well, and I am absorbing all your ideas.

The misty glow is just a very good work, I really like that.

LegacyArt, that is one idea I had thought of, but wasn't sure how to execute it, and you went above and beyond my idea and its so pretty!

The sandstone is actually a very cute idea, and all that you've done has truly brought out the details.

Now, Ken, you have also enhanced on an idea that I had, and just leave it as a silhouette and removing the background, made all the more adorable with the heart frame.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 10:38 PM

legacy,

i like that second one. great framing.

and ken, i also like the silhouette idea.

and, since no one else mentioned it, there's actually another heart shape in the picture already that could be taken advantage of. if you look at the area just below their chins and extending down between their bodies, you'll see this is somewhat heart-shaped. some possibilities there also.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2005, 03:08 AM

Hi Barb, just a quick idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silhouette copy.jpg (88.4 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101