Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

help with a photo "collage"

Old 07-21-2005, 10:29 PM
help with a photo "collage"

I have just started trying to figure out our photoshop elements 2.0 and would love to try to put together a sort of photo collage as a gift for grandparents. I saw a "collage" somewhere a while back where there was a faded background print then several cropped images layered over it. I am looking at something with all the grandchildren and would like to be able to blend the photos so there is not such a harsh edge where I add each photo layer. I've tried some different things so far but nothing is coming out quite like I invision. It seems like it should be pretty easy but I can't get it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi bskaak,

From your post, it seems you don't have a problem with the concept of layers, so sizing and positioning of your images is not a problem, it's just that you want to sit them onto your base image without hard edges.

OK. Well with Elements 2 you don't have access to layer masks, so you're going to have to feather your edges in a different manner.

Try doing a selection (rectangular, eliptical or otherwise) round the image you're wanting to paste onto the background, then click on Select/Feather to feather the edges of your selection.

Now Copy and paste onto your base image. This will lose the hard edges of your pasted pictures. The amount you feather will depend on the size of your images and your own preferences.

I attach a very quick copy of an image of my dogs to which I've applied this technique. This is not meant to be an illustration of a good collage, just an illustration of the effect of using this technique. (The inset photo is a crop taken from a relatively small photo, so picture quality is poor, it's the edge blend I'm trying to illustrate here, nothing else).

Hope this helps.

If this is not what you're looking for, please try and explain exactly what you want, preferably showing examples of what you're trying to achieve, someone here will be bound to be able to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Susie & Sasha.jpg (82.0 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
FotoFusion is a fantastic program for doing collages! Great for scrapbooking layouts too.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM

just went and watched the intro video to fotofusion. very nice! that's now on my wish list, along with about 16 other things

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 04:15 PM
great looking program, I might have to think about getting that one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Smile Making a Great Collage in PE2

Hi Bskaak,
Here's what I do:
1) Either File/new or click the "blank" page at the top left of the screen. [I always use a saved page that is 8.5" high and 11" wide with a white background.] Simply adjust the dimensions and dpi (I use 300) to suit.

2) Open the first picture that you want to use.
3) Use the crop tool to select the part you want.
4) Drag the picture using the move tool onto your blank page, decide how big it is to be and then drag it using the move tool into position. (Remember when resizing to push Shift while resizing to keep proper proportions).
5) Repeat 2)-4) for all the pictures that you want.
6) Background. When I'm taking a set of pictures for a collage, I am always thinking about a backgound to use. E.g., for a recent trip to the islands, I took a picture of palm tree shadows on the sidewalk that I was on. Perfect for a background for those tropical pictures.
When you have moved your background to your creation, open the layers palette and drag the background layer to the bottom of the stack. Fade it to the appropriate amount (40-50% or whatever).
7) When I have enough pictures, I add a stroke (or 2) to each [Edit/stroke] and choose a colour from the picture itself. This helps separate the picture from the background.
8) If you overlap some pictures, be sure to add a drop shadow (Layer Style/Drop Shadow) to those pictures on top of others. It makes for a great result.

Hope this helps ,

John (a.k.a. Daddyo)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101