RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Trying to create this effect

Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM

Trying to create this effect

Hey,

I am new to the site and forums. I am having a problem with an effect that I want to use. I know it is a crosshatch filter and when I use it, it doesn't look like the photo example. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be appreciated. I have seen one tutorial on crosshatch but it isn't what I need. I have tried to get help on one site but they were being extremely lazy to not help. Thanks very much!

http://www.florida-gyrl.net/site_files/Untitled-2.JPG --where the example is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 AM

Re: Trying to create this effect

I borrowed a photo posted a while back in one of the forums and did this rather quickly. I added and action from Panos Actions to spruce it up a bit. If you like the cross hatch settings let me know and I will post the details later.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twonieces-com.jpg (98.5 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 AM

I looks more like a halftone pattern ( just small dots, like from a magazine ). Easiest is to just make a new layer , fill it with smal dots and set a apropriate layer blending mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherLady07
Hey,

I am new to the site and forums. I am having a problem with an effect that I want to use. I know it is a crosshatch filter and when I use it, it doesn't look like the photo example. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be appreciated. I have seen one tutorial on crosshatch but it isn't what I need. I have tried to get help on one site but they were being extremely lazy to not help. Thanks very much!

http://www.florida-gyrl.net/site_files/Untitled-2.JPG --where the example is.
First of all, welcome to RetouchPRO. Hope we'll be able to get you over the hump on this effect.

re: I know it is a crosshatch filter and when I use it, it doesn't look like the photo example.

If you mean Photoshop's (or Elements') Brush strokes > Crosshatch effect, I'll be honest: I don't think so. If you zoom in on the example notice how it looks more like a screen (checkerboard) pattern. Crosshatch does not render a uniform effect like this, which would explain your observations.

Using a Mode > Grayscale image I've tried to replicate the look by applying various combinations of Photoshop's Mode > Bitmap > Halftone screen... -- but no luck so far. The Andromedia > Screens plugin is coming closer, but I have not found the right combination of settings yet. Perhaps other folks will have suggestions.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 AM

OK... I've got it. Pelle's comments turned on the light for me...

First, you must have the underlying image (the one to which you want to apply this effect == Nick in this case) ready to go.

You're ultimately going to want to create a layer above the background and fill it (in this case) with a 2 pxl by 2 pxl black/white "checkerboard" pattern applied with a layer mask using the inverse luminosity of the underlying layer.

This might be doable with a Pattern layer, but I don't think there's much control over precise pattern size. It's definitely doable by defining a custom pattern and filling the top layer with it.

Do you need more info than this or do you need to know how to make patterns, use layer masks, etc? How are you at installing/playing Photoshop actions?

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-14-2006 at 10:22 AM. Reason: tech correction
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 AM

First off, thanks for the input so far...

Danny,

I have created some patterns before but that was a loooong time ago...I understand what you are saying as far as creating the actual checkerboard pattern but I don't think I am understanding with the pattern layer (unless I am slow and not realizing that the layer is the actual pattern). I am going to try this later and see what I come up with. I'll be back with my result.

I do like how Syd created the rendition but I am still trying to get that newspaper like feel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Try photographing the texture separately and overlaying it and different opacities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 AM

I have tried to use halftone filter, but it goes down only to 4 pixels.
There must be a better way.
Here what I did: applied photocopy filter, resized picture 400%, applied halftone filter 8 pixels the rest default, resized back

Here _http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~slowbell/convert_to_newsprint.htm I found a nice tutorial... too late for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gab_color21.JPG (59.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by chillin; 11-15-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 04:58 PM

Using stock photo, tried pattern fill layer using PShop stock checkerboard pattern -- wasn't sure what you meant, Danny about " using the inverse luminosity of the underlying layer", so I fiddled with it to see how it might work. I had the original layer on the bottom, a copy of the original on top of that - I inverted that layer and set the layer blend to "difference". Then I added the Pattern Fill layer set to Overlay layer blend, and added a color layer to mimic the color from PantherLady's original example. Did a bit of levels adjustment to give a bit more shadowy mood. I got some new ideas from this exercise, anyway!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iStock-no-pattern.jpg (13.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg iStock_wPattern.jpg (50.0 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 PM

That is nice, CJ.

I still haven't done my example yet but I will tonight or tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101