RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Opinions on Brad Buttry technique

Old 07-10-2007, 08:25 PM

Re: Opinions on Brad Buttry technique

before this thread gets lost I was wondering if anyone had any other training DVD's they'd recommend. thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 AM

I'm truly sorry that I have not responded again. I should keep up with my post. It's just that I'm barely into the toddler stage of photography and the photo-art will have to wait.

Regardless of that, I appreciate your input. thanks

post script, Faye Sirkis is popular at NAPP
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 AM

Jeremy Sutton, Jane Connor-zizer, Marilyn Sholin, et al

I found Katrin Eismann's DVD on Retouching to be quite informative. Note the topics she addresses are not "arty" in nature.

Jeremy Sutton Painter Creativity DVDs are very good, too. Several useful (to me) methods are presented. The video tutorials are a great visual supplement to his books.

I was not impressed with Jane Connor-ziser's Painter DVD. Although Karen Sperling does some interesting artwork using Painter, I strongly prefer Jeremy's tutorials.

I haven't seen Marilyn Sholin's DVDs yet; I can say that her first generation .pdf based tutorials were very good for their time. Her vibrant color style really stands out.

Faye Sirkis: Received her DVD awhile back. Until I work through a few more tasks on the "Honey do" list and complete a couple more reviews that are "in progress," the package containing Faye's DVD will remain unopened on my office floor!

-------------------

A general observation: No matter what program(s) you use to apply any method or tutorial, it all starts with a great photo in terms of composition, crop, subject, props, background, etc.

It's very difficult IMO to achieve something great if you start out with a lousy photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 PM

Re: Jeremy Sutton, Jane Connor-zizer, Marilyn Sholin, et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
Although Karen Sperling does some interesting artwork using Painter, I strongly prefer Jeremy's tutorials.
Karen Sperling contacted me recently regarding my statement above. Upon reflection I see how it might be misinterpreted.

So let me clarify and add some additional information...
"Karen Sperling does some interesting artwork using Painter. I bought two of her entry level CDs in the Fall of 2003. For more info/comments on that experience see http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/non-rp-resources/6900-photoart-training-painter.html#post59123
"I preferred Jeremy's Painter 8 training over Karen's text-based tutorials because I realized then how effective video training is for me, the overall content was more of what I needed at the time (more emphasis on Painter "how-to specifics" vs. how traditional art theory and methods apply to digital art) and, quite frankly, I liked his friendly, upbeat presentation style.
"A few years ago Karen started a subscription based newsletter, Artistry Tips and Tricks, to which I'm not a subscriber. Here's a link for info:
http://www.artistrymag.com/docs/tipsall.html
"Based on subscriber reviews and feedback, she has a number of satisfied customers.
"She sent me a link to a Sept. 2006 sample copy of Artistry Tips and Tricks, which I just downloaded. I look forward to reading it and will report on it as soon as I am able to."
I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-18-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fix spelling error
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 PM

I've been reading this thread and to be honest I can't figure out why the price is such an issue. To let an extra 22 dollars stop anyone from learning a great technique is a mystery to me. I purchased both of Brads CD's for around 97 bucks plus postage ... Now I could easily spend that on a "Dinner out with the wife and kids". Brads training shortens the learning curve and allows me to review his style when ever I feel the need. He also includes brushes. I think the CD's are well worth the money and I would strongly recomend not letting a postage fee stop you from a great opp. for learning. After all ... haven't we all spent a bunch of bucks just to get where we are? Just look at the price of software, printers, ink and quality paper. Spend the money on a great dinner and you're gonna be hungry the next day anyway ... buy the training info and you can keep it, learn and, maybe, even resell it if you choose. Just my opinion =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeNC View Post
I've been reading this thread and to be honest I can't figure out why the price is such an issue. To let an extra 22 dollars stop anyone from learning a great technique is a mystery to me. I purchased both of Brads CD's for around 97 bucks plus postage ... Now I could easily spend that on a "Dinner out with the wife and kids". Brads training shortens the learning curve and allows me to review his style when ever I feel the need. He also includes brushes. I think the CD's are well worth the money and I would strongly recomend not letting a postage fee stop you from a great opp. for learning. After all ... haven't we all spent a bunch of bucks just to get where we are? Just look at the price of software, printers, ink and quality paper. Spend the money on a great dinner and you're gonna be hungry the next day anyway ... buy the training info and you can keep it, learn and, maybe, even resell it if you choose. Just my opinion =)
Well i did pay the 22 dollars for the postage and obviously the cost of the cd, He does consolidate the "technique " The brushes i have used so far custombrushes 01, appear to be very similar to ones i already had ! I did not and do not quibble at the price of the cd, I have enjoyed learning "Brads " way and have the cd for future reference and have not regretted the purchase as i have done on some plug ins and books

My gripe about the postage still stands especially as my husband has just recieved two cd's ordered over the net and posted from USA for a total of £2.50p just under $5 and took the same amount of time for delivery

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Just found this thread and wanted to say thanks for all the great comments. I send all my International orders via USPS Priority so depending on where it ships to, the price varies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuttry View Post
Just found this thread and wanted to say thanks for all the great comments. I send all my International orders via USPS Priority so depending on where it ships to, the price varies.
Darn it there was a question i would like to of asked you, but cant remember what it is now

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101