RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Opinions on Brad Buttry technique

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM

Opinions on Brad Buttry technique

Has anyone here tried this technique?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=260882
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Re: would like opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
Has anyone here tried this technique?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=260882
If you are referring to the Brad Buttry techniques, he is a member here -- you can look up a few of his works here in the forums and see if he can answer any of your questions via PM (personal messaging) or email. I haven't purchased his DVD, but his work certainly looks good. You can keep coming here (and other forums like Phyllis Stewart's etc.) and see if you can develop a style for yourself that you like or decide after a while if it would be worth money to you to learn from someone else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Re: would like opinion

Thank's for the responce CJ, but right now I'm trying to learn how to take a picture, later though I will experiment with photo cloning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 01:39 AM

Re: Opinions on Brad Buttry technique

Brad participates fairly often at Marilyn Sholin's subscription required forum (http://www.digitalpaintingforum.com) I don't know the specifics about his method(s), but he has a large and loyal following.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 AM

Another member that i know of who has the cd is Rab3rd take a look at this thread
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...imals-oil.html
maybe he could give us a critic on the cd etc ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 AM

I would be glad to give my review.

I found them both to be very useful in learning the basics of these techniques. While Brad's presentation dialog is a little mono-tonal the information contained within is enough for someone with a good working knowledge of PS to produce good results. Some have complained that the info is not nearly enough "step by step" but I found that not to be true. For me it was worth the purchase as a starting point. The free stuff on the web is good but the DVD's bring all the basics together in one simple to use location. Practice is indeed the key. Brad's work is very good. I can only assume that he started just as we did, knowing little but trying lots.

This review is mearly one persons opinion, your mileage may vary....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM

I recently bought both of Brad's DVD's and was very satisfied with Brad's presentation. It's just one more tool I can put in the "tool box". I've been trying to learn how to create a "paintery" look and, until the purchase, I had been unsatisfied with my results. Brad has provided me the some basic concepts that I was not applying to my photos. Prior to purchase, I thought Brad's technique used COREL PAINTER, but this is not the case. He uses photoshop. Basically Brad uses brushes (when he provides) that you use to smudge and paint your photo at different strengths depending upon the object: skin, clothes, objects, etc. I also like the brushes that Brad provided - I've found them very useful. So if you want to learn how to obtain a paintery look in Photoshop I would recommend these DVD's.

I also recently purchased Jeremy Sutton's DVD set called Painter IX Simplified. I've just reviewed two of the four training DVD's, but thus far, I am satisfied. Again, the basics are covered and this time, I am learning more about Painter.

Now with some of these basics under my belt, I have to be more careful of what DVD's I'd purchase next. I certainly don't want to shell out another $100 to $200 to rereview the same basic material.

Does anyone know a site that reviews the contents training DVD's such as these?

Has anyone bought Faye Sirkis, Marilyn Sholin or Katrin Eismann training DVD's?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 AM

Thank you Rab3rd and sky dog for your reviews, it is always helpful to know what people think before shelling out some money ( i have "wasted" some pennies on things that didnt pan out to be that good ) i am tempted now to put them on my birthday/christmas list

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 AM

I think his work is great! Wish I could afford his cds!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra View Post
I think his work is great! Wish I could afford his cds!
Affording his cd's is one thing but i would have to add a extra $22 for postage , that takes it off my list of want's i'm afraid.
But I have spent (most) of the afternoon reading through the threads of the link in chauncey's post and there are a lot of hints and tips there (plenty to keep me occupied for a while ) including Brad (Vixtran) and he does say a few times that his technique is a mixture from all the techniques that are already out there.

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101