RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Newbie's attempts with Impressionist

Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 AM

Newbie's attempts with Impressionist

Hi,

Having stumbled across the Impressionist filter whilst searching for information on converting photos into sketches and managing to source a legit version bearing in mind the age of the software, I have hopefully attached a copy of one of my first attempts. This method came from Danny Raphael's instructions on producing a Black Dog Sketch, and I kinda missed a few of the last steps out of the instructions because I didn't feel I needed them.

I'm quite proficient at Photoshop and am very interested in this type of conversion though like many people I can't draw so would find it impossible to create this type of thing without a large amount of automation.

I spent most of yesterday playing with the filter itself and then working through some of the custom sets I had already downloaded and think this filter has tons of possibilities.

I know here is not the correct place but wanted to say a personal thanks to "Swampy" for the tutorial on relacing bland skies. It's also something which I have struggled with and her method is one of the more successful ones I have tried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051_sketch.jpg (82.1 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM

Re: Newbie's attempts with Impressionist

Welcome Avenlor

That's a nice first post, impressionist will keep you busy for a while, loads there to try

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM

Welcome to RTP, Avenlor! Great first post. You're gonna love it here. :-)

Glad you found the blown out sky tutorial helpful. I still use it all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM

Here's a second attempt from this afternoon. I've tried to produce a sketch type effect - a drawing if you will.

I've used the custom pencil monochrome detailed (I think), just closed Photoshop down so can't double check.

Once I had brightened some of the shadow areas prior to applying the filter I then used buzz to just take the edge off a little and added the painterly border.

This is the kind of filter you could spend hours fiddling with and I intend to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (56.3 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM

Avenlor, your work is very nice. Your examples show that you know Photoshop quite well and that you aren't afraid to experiment. They turned out quite nice. Welcome aboard.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM

Good Start Avenlor.

Get ready to spend many, many, many hours with Impressionist as you find all the various adjustments possible and as you try out all the great suggestions, actions and techniques found here in this forum.

I couldn't get enough of it myself - that is until my wife "gently" explained her views on my spending so much time on my computer.

But don't worry - after the first few months the intensity will probably even out?!

Regards and enjoy the ride

Bob Mc
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 AM

Thanks guys 'n' gals for all your kind words. You are right I do like to experiment and spend longer on the PC than I should do though I got no spouse to moan at me over it. It just kills my shoulder periodically. Maybe I shall have to dig out the graphics tablet again, see if that helps ;-)

I shall definitely play with the settings, have already modified some of the sets I downloaded to get them looking the way I want them too, it is after all a personal thing I think. But am going to enjoy playing which is the main thing.

Been using Photoshop for a few years now and can find my way around most things which helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenlor View Post
Thanks guys 'n' gals for all your kind words. You are right I do like to experiment and spend longer on the PC than I should do though I got no spouse to moan at me over it. It just kills my shoulder periodically. Maybe I shall have to dig out the graphics tablet again, see if that helps ;-)

I shall definitely play with the settings, have already modified some of the sets I downloaded to get them looking the way I want them too, it is after all a personal thing I think. But am going to enjoy playing which is the main thing.

Been using Photoshop for a few years now and can find my way around most things which helps.
A belated welcome, Avenlor. Glad you found us, jumped right in and that you're having fun with Impressionist, by far my favorite plugin.

Indeed, playing is the main thing so do a lot of that as you enjoy and learn more about your new toy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Have been playing some more with the impressionist filter after taking some shots of the Christmas decs before they come down. I have posted them in my Picasa album under sketches for those that fancy taking a look. I would have attached them here but have closed down Photoshop as its late and the files are too big!

This really is an awesome filter, am sooo glad I stumbled across it. It's definitely gonna keep me busy on the PC for many a week to come.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101