RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Offsetting yellow color in advance

Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 PM

Re: Offsetting yellow color in advance

I don’t know, but if I am seeing this right, the one with the overlay with nothing done to it looks perfect.

There are slight differences between the additions, but the closest one with the overlay looks to be the blue. I am comparing to the no overlay original. Another thing, when your taking the pictures, your white balance will change with every picture unless you set it to a specific one. I say this because it could explain some of the diff in the your pictures.

I have another idea to maybe try and correct it. I took these pictures with the filter over the flash. Then corrected in PS. You can then take the corrections and apply it to the real image.

I have 3 examples:
The first (left), Has green and yellow filter. I then offset it by using blue and magenta set to soft light. I adjusted the opacity on both till it was like the original. I then adjusted the brightness and contrast to compensate for the filters.

The second (middle), only had yellow through the flash. A new layer filled with blue, soft light, opacity 71%. Then brightness and contrast of 40/25 respectively.

The third (right), with the filters over the picture. I tried to color correct but the color was just to strong. Is this how your putting the filters over the image?? If so you must have some light filters because the ones I have were just to strong to convert back.

Take a screen shot of your PS so we can see what your doing. With PS as the top window (hold)alt>> push print screen (on keyboard near F12) (then in PS): file>> new>> click ok> (then) edit>>paste>>crop your layers palet like I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSA_3539---green-yellow-filter.jpg (95.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3539---green-yellow-filter-screen-shot.jpg (47.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3540--yellow-filter.jpg (95.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3540--yellow-filter-screen-shot.jpg (42.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3538.jpg (97.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 11-21-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 PM

Using the color balance layer is ok, if you set both at the same time it should come out looking purple'ish.

How to make colors in new layers:
Make new blank layer>>> edit>>> fill>>> Use: color...>>> Selct color>>> click ok>>> click ok again

Color should have filled the layer

then: change the blending mode to "soft light" and adjust the opasity to taste

---------------------

Below picture is what blue and magenta look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-megenta.jpg (3.3 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2008, 03:35 PM

thanks for your patience with me and the detailed explanations. working in reverse to your responses. i was adding the color in separate layers ~ i did what you said for a print-screen to show that approach. attached to this.

your explanation of adding the color via a new layer is both an "aha" and "duh" moment for me ~ thanks!

i was so tired last night that i just couldn't see the colors much less make any conclusions. their being small doesn't help so i'm sorry about that. in looking at them now, i totally agree that the blue overlay seems much closer to the original without an overlay. i think i'm going to go that route for now.

your suggestion of adjusting the white balance while taking the photo is new to me. i will keep that in mind for future work. i'm not familiar with putting filters over the flash but your idea merits my attention and some more reseach. you achieved some great results!

yes, i am putting the filter over the photo. my approach is to laminate the photo. either the laminate or the heat or both causes a slight but noticeable discoloration that i referred to as a green/yellow tint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg To Show Layers.jpg (52.9 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2008, 07:08 PM

AHHHHH..... That explains A LOT! Very interesing that laminate would do that .

I see how you could not get both blue and magenta in the same picture.

----Number info for picture one:
----- 1. Adjustment layer maker (brightness, color adj, curves... click it to find more)
----- 2. New layer (drag and drop to copy droped layer or just click to add a blank layer)
----- 3. Blending mode (selects how the layer blends with whats below it)
----- 4. Opacity (selects how much of the layer you can see. the 50% means 50% is showing)
----- 5. Make new folder
----- 6. Make layer mask (used to mask what you want and dont want to see. Paint in the mask white for see, black for dont see Change the opasity of your paint brush for more control.)

Easyer way:
  1. Click the icon #1. Make color balence adj layer. adj the blue. Rename
  2. Click the icon #1. Make color balence adj layer. adj the Magenta. Rename
  3. Click the icon #1. Make Brightness/Contrast... Adjust brightness and contrast.

You should have background, and 3 Adj layers, that look simmilar to the second picture below. You will now be able to see both colors added at the same time and have alot more control. You can also go back and re adj each layer by doubble clicking on it.

I'll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg To%20Show%20Layers - number show.jpg (81.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg To%20Show%20Layers - screen shot.jpg (76.4 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2008, 11:06 AM

wow ~ thanks for all your help! i'm trying to break old thinking & self taught behaviors. your steps are very straight forward & helpful. it was a frustrating week for me but with your help i don't feel like shooting myself in the foot anymore! thank you again
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I too am self taught, self everything. I am mechanic, bartender, photographer, editor, plumber, electrician, audio installer...etc... all self taught. I find I learn faster and retain more when I am learning on my own without the pressure of the test.

But anyway, I hope your skills advanced, that’s what this place is for anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
your suggestion of adjusting the white balance while taking the photo is new to me. i will keep that in mind for future work. i'm not familiar with putting filters over the flash but your idea merits my attention and some more reseach.
Just to clarify, the white balance on a camera is set to auto by default, and auto will give you different white balances every time. The problem is that the white balance will partially correct the problem. On top of how do you compare two things if they are not the same?

And as for the filter over the flash. You see the little strips of filter over the picture; you just hold them up to the flash and shoot through them. Some people call them color gels; most people use them for background colors. You can use diff combos to have very unique photos. But you would have to set the white balance manually.

Well don't give up, unless the cost factor comes into play.

Good Luck,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101