RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Offsetting yellow color in advance

Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Offsetting yellow color in advance

I have a situation where I what I print & frame results in a yellow/slightly green overall tint. This tinting/hue is a result of the overlay and I really don't want to change that overlay.

Soooo, I was thinking that maybe I could adjust the colors of the print in advance via photoshop. My thought being that somehow I account for the yellow/green tint and somehow subtract or adjust the printing colors to account for this.

The goal is that when the overlay is there, the print looks as expected without any tinting. Any suggestions? I'm not experienced with colors at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Re: Offsetting yellow color in advance

I'm not sure I completely understand what you want.

My interpretation:
Your want to print a picture with a yellow/green tint, then project or show with an external overlay over the picture that will make the picture convert back to normal (correct) color.

Solution:
Equal amounts of the opposite color should counter act the yellow/green (Blue/Magenta).

I created an action for you to show this. Just unzip, then double click on it, lastly, press play. It was made in CS4 but should be backward compatible.

All colors are set to overlay at 25% opacity except blue at 30% opacity. Then the main folder is set to 50% opacity to lessen the effect.

Equal amounts should offset but for some reason when alls equal, it’s a tad yellow. It gets darker because the more overlays you put on an image, the less light it gets. Something to keep in mind when putting the external overlays over the picture, you might want to over brighten the picture to compensate for the overlays.

Hope this helps,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Counter-colors.jpg (57.5 KB, 13 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Opposite colors.zip (698 Bytes, 3 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Thank you, Keven The file of APN was not recognized I'm using PSD 7.0.1.

Sorry about the confusion in what I explained. My problem is that the end result I DONT want has the yellow, green tint.

Do you think I can achieve a normal look by adding extra blue/magenta to the image before I print it? Then, when I frame it with the overlay, the photo will return to a normal look because I added the blue/magenta to offset the yellow/green effect?

I hope this makes sense!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 PM

Yes, if you pre add the Blue/Magenta before it should offset. It will just be a trial and error to get the exact color diff unless you know what exactly the overlays colors are.

You might want to print a proof style print of different strength of Blue/Magenta and then put the overlays, find the ones that work best. Then print 4 or so of them and do the same thing. Then 2 if necessary. Also try different brightness amounts.

As for the action:
Set the following colors in their own layers with the following settings
Blue: Overlay, 12% opacity
Magenta: Overlay, 10% opacity
Yellow: Overlay, 10% opacity
Green: Overlay, 10% opacity
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM

Here is a picture example of what is going on.

The left has both all 4 colors and the right has only Blue/Magenta. The center is a copy crop of the original.

As you can see the Yellow/Green offset the Blue/Magenta.

Also included a color only example.
1: original 50% grey
2: mix of all colors
3: Yellow/Green Only
4: Blue/Magenta Only

Notice how the "1" & "2" look almost the same.

----------------------------------------
Side note: I am interested in seeing your final version/set up. An update would be nice, to see what the end product looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC6010_1.jpg (100.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg color-example.jpg (28.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot.jpg (76.0 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 01:35 PM

yes, i will definitley post my results, good or bad. it will be a few days because i need to prep the files based on your suggestions & then i actually print at a local print shop. thanks for explanation & details. i only hope i can get the results i would like now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Sounds like a plan! Cant wait, it just sounds like a fun little project. Im thinking of doing one myself.. maybe..probably not.. This would be good for say a teacher or a museum art or even a interesting way to show in a house.

Whats it for anyway?

Glad to help... cant wait to see it!,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 PM

i had a similar situation a while back, a client was using a specific backlit device with Duratrans proofs but the type of bulbs and plexi material was causing a blue cast with his black and white images..i couldn't take out any blue as his images contained specular highlights, so what i did is add yellow in 4 different amounts across the image and picked the one that looked the most neutral, the client was quite happy..another thing you could do is make a profile that takes into account the overlay you are using...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 PM

let me preface this with the fact that i am really tired and don't have near the experience with psd as most people here. some stuff i can do, but stuff like this gets out of my league pretty darn fast! with the results i'm posting, i'm not sure i even diagnosed my problem correctly now.

i wanted you to at least see the results i got & thank you again for you help!

finally, i didn't know if merging the separate layers into a final file would result in both the magenta & blue additions both being added? visually, it didn't appear that these changes were both there? so, i added each hue independently via a new layer using the color balance option in psd 7.0.1. then, i created three different prints for both before & after the overlay to demonstrate the results. i hope this is making sense....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample color hues 001 copy.jpg (75.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Sample color hues 002 copy.jpg (74.1 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 PM

I don't know how PS 7 compares for features and application to the version I'm on. If your overlay is digital (something your applying in Ps) perhaps this approach will work.

1.Take the entire composite including overlay to a new layer.
2.Blur the layer with filter>blur> average. This will completly go flat...No detail
3.Open Curves adjustment layer and click on the blured layer with nutral or grey eyedropper.
4.turn off or delete the blurred layer from step 1 & 2
5. move the curves adjustment layer you created in step 3 below the overlay layer.

This should remove a color cast unless the image is color biased to begin with (example a picure of all green grass) This is not fool proof but somtimes can be used to neutralize a color cast. Or in this scenerio add a correcting color cast at the proper place in the stack

Perhaps I'm to late, I cannot tell from the thumbnails.

Last edited by neumanns; 11-21-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101