RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Help - I can't figure out the art history brush

Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 AM

Help - I can't figure out the art history brush

I can't figure out the ahb and I feel like a total (really frustrated) idiot. I've tried to go through Palms' tuts on it, but I just can't make it work. Don't really understand how the brush works and how to make it refer back to an earlier layer. When I get to the white fill layer that I'm supposed to paint back into, nothing happens. I've worked on this for hours and hours today and have made myself totally crazy. I'm missing something and don't know what it is. If I understood how the brush worked, it might help.

None of my Photoshop books have much to say about the ahb. Can someone please point me to another resource with perhaps a more detailed explanation about how it works?

I love the look that is achieved with it and would dearly love to figure it out. I'm quitting for the day, because I can't stand any more frustration. I'll check tomorrow to see if anyone answers.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 02:56 AM

Re: Help - I can't figure out the art history brus

Becky

the art history brush is a strange one to get used to, and i am not sure that i have got it all sussed yet
and what is more it is really hard for me to explain it to you,

when you open the image that you are going to use do not do anything else to it (no cropping etc) as this alters the history state and causes some hiccups (as does saving your work half way through ) and make sure that you are using the brush on the right layer

besides that here is a article that i have found that hopefully will be of some use for you, I havent gone through it all myself but it does look interesting

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 04:39 AM

It sounds like you haven't given the AHB a history state to start from. Make sure the layer you want to use as reference is selected (blue).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks Palms. That looks like some good info. I'm going to print it out and see if it enlightens me!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101