RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

First Stab at AHB

Old 01-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Unhappy First Stab at AHB

Hi I'm new here. I've been using Corel Painter for about 1.5 yrs, but today i thought I would give AHB a try. I was trying to follow Vitaly's watercolor tutorial, which seemed very detailed, but perhaps too advanced for my first try. Just when you thing you are getting pretty good at photoshop, you try something new and BLAM, total frustration ;-0. Anyway, I managed to muddle thru loading some presets, but then just got a bunch of stop errors... something about "you can't use the AHB due to program error" restarted everything to get past that. Then when I could finally paint, I would only get WHITE PAINT. Closed everything, started over with new snapshot, then i could finally paint, WOOHOO. Got one layer painted, started on 2nd layer but then i got the dreaded "Could not use the art history brush because the history state lacks a corresponding layer". After a rest and a glass of wine, I got past that error, but now am back to only being able to paint ONLY WHITE. **SIGH** Is it just me or is this tool always this touchy? Thanks for listening too my rant. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm gonna have to unwind with "Masterpiece Theatre" for a bit. That always cheers me up.

Julie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Re: First Stab at AHB

dont you just love the ahb

take a look at the posts detailed below in my sig see if they help at all

oh and watch your history state ! for example if you resize you change the history state and it the ahb wont work

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Hi Palms,

Thanks so much for responding. this morning i followed your instructions exactly (no extra steps in case it was messing with my history state) got "cannot use AHB due to program error". so I thought this is just crazy, tried it on my laptop (painting with touch pad is sooooo icky) Anyway worked just find. Soooo there must be something amiss with my CS4 install. But at least i know i am not crazy or and idiot. Yippee!

Julie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 01:08 PM

I Think you might be right about a problem with your install as i never had that error ! but i dont have cs4 so cant say for certain

using a touch pad i find hard at the best of times let alone painting ! ! ( not used a laptop much at all )

maybe if you post in the software forum some one a bit more techy might have a answer !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 01:19 PM

Well i googled the error and found that particular issue was due to my image being 16-bit. Arg! The original error might have mentioned that, but nooooo. Still tackling second error. Stand by.

Julie
www.yaredesigns.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM

Wink Re: First Stab at AHB

Well I'm thrilled to announce that after reinstalling PS CS4, I was actually able to paint something. This was painted following Vitaly's tutorial. Did cropping using the Divine Proportion Tool in Painter.

Cheers,

Julie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golden_9656-WtrClrFlat-09.jpg (84.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DivineProportionGolden.jpg (99.6 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee962 View Post
Well I'm thrilled to announce that after reinstalling PS CS4, I was actually able to paint something. This was painted following Vitaly's tutorial. Did cropping using the Divine Proportion Tool in Painter.

Cheers,

Julie
Glad you got past the tech obstacles. This is outstanding work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 AM

Glad everything worked out for you and it was well worth the messing around, great work

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101