RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Tutorial 06: Pencil sketch

View Poll Results: This tutorial was useful / educational / helpful.
Strongly agree 12 66.67%
Agree 5 27.78%
Somewhat agree 1 5.56%
Somewhat disagree 0 0%
Disagree 0 0%
Sorry, but I did not find it useful at all. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2003, 09:07 AM

Hi Danny
I went wrong somewhere with this tutorial..My result is way to faded.. There are so many steps that I am not sure where the problem is..I will attach my result with this post and a screen shot of my layers on my next post..

Thanks for the effort
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liesel.jpg (79.0 KB, 141 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 09:09 AM

Here is the layers pallette.. The top color layer is cut off but it is correct according to the tutorial..

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (89.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 11:12 AM

Jerry:

Check layer B... Make sure opacity is 95%, not the usual 100%. That's a slight twist on this method.

Thanks for the feedback. This REALLY helps.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 11:43 AM

Danny
I had the "B" layer at 95% opacity..Since that is the layer that you focused in on, I tweeked the opacity in the "B" layer to 71%. The results are better but I think more tweeking is needed..See attached for results.

Thanks I'll keep toying with this technique..
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liesel2.jpg (82.4 KB, 125 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 05:02 PM

Jerry:

Besides the layer B opacity tweak, I should have mentioned to you (and have since updated the tutorial text to state), the various settings used for that image will probably not work as well on other images. Adjustments to the recipe will be necessary for any given image.

So you get A+ in following directions. You have 100% authority in the future to color way, way outside the lines! That's where your own creativity and judgment come in -- making adjustments as the image (game) develops, just like a football coach.

The real point of the exercise (which I didn't make as clear as I should have) was to illustrate one can apply sketchy-like characteristics to an image without it looking like a full blast application of filters like colored pencil, crosshatch, angled strokes or whatever, which to me is not appealing at all.

Again I thank you for your comments and follow-ups. As a result I've already made what I hope are improvements to the verbiage.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I think the ALT + CTRL + SHIFT + E keyboard shortcut, used to merge without collapsing individual layers, is among the slickest around. Once you get over the initial slight awkwardness, it becomes second nature. I use it all the time.

Guys

There is another way to do this (IFRC)

1. Put a new blank layer on top of the stack.
2. press and hold the ALT key, then click and hold on "Layer-Merge Visible".

This should merge the visible layers onto the new blank layer without losing the other layers. This works in PS7 on my PC.

Jerry: Quickly looking at your images, my guess would be to look/fiddle with the Brightness/Contrast layer, that was where I kept going wrong.

Collin
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2003, 06:55 PM

That picture of Ali is great! Couldn't resist sketching her. Who is she? Ali is my 6 (going on 26) year old daughter. - Danny.

I used the sketch method described in the tutorial to get the outline, then, to add fill and shading, blended in a desaturated layer of the original with artistic>film grain added.

It looked okay, but I thought I'd roughen up the texture a bit, so I used the artistic>rough pastels filter a few times, turning the canvas to different angles inbetween, and fading each step a bit. This layer was blended in normal mode with opacity of 35% to add the texture and shading you see here.

Note: I have edited the picture I uploaded earlier...looked too flat and dull to me so I did some brightening.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ali_sketch1.jpg (94.8 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 01-06-2003 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2003, 12:29 AM

Danny, your daughter is a real cutie! Here is a colored sketch. Just added some "film grain" to a dupe of the original, then blended that over the outline layer (on which I had run the anisotropic diffuse filter) in normal mode at reduced opacity. Last I placed the original above the outline layer and set it to color mode to make the b/w lines colored. Then merged the three layers to get this.

Phyllis

---------------
I guess I can never see enough pictures of my first child. Thanks, Phyllis, for giving her dad a few more smiles -- Danny
---------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ali2.jpg (97.5 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-10-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2004, 04:39 PM

Not too late I hope

Danny, being new and looking for a place to start, this looks like maybe where I should begin. You mentioned at the end of this tutorial that you had made some corrections. Were they made at the beginning where you gave the initial instruction, or is there a revised set of instructions somewhere??? Sounds just awesome and can't wait to start, even if is does sound a little intimidating to someone who hasn't played with PS that much even though i've owned several versions. Was always going toooooooo, well I think I'ts time. Regards, Lee
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leec
Danny, being new and looking for a place to start, this looks like maybe where I should begin. You mentioned at the end of this tutorial that you had made some corrections. Were they made at the beginning where you gave the initial instruction, or is there a revised set of instructions somewhere??? Sounds just awesome and can't wait to start, even if is does sound a little intimidating to someone who hasn't played with PS that much even though i've owned several versions. Was always going toooooooo, well I think I'ts time. Regards, Lee
Hey, Lee:

I had planned to fine-tune this tutorial, but didn't get around to it. The steps (as is) should work OK, so give 'em a go.

Don't hesitate to post questions if you get stuck. There are lots of kind folks here who are eager to help out rookies!

It's (almost) never too late to start having fun. Glad you found us and a belated WELCOME! to RetouchPRO

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101