RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Cloning & background

Old 03-07-2003, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew B.
And here it the extracted dog on a green background.
That looks great and I have been trying since Sunday to do this - I have now deleated Paint shop and need to try Elements - Guess I will have to find an elements person to ask - if I can do it or just get the Photoshop$$ - Why don't you do a 101 class on this. How do you extract the darn thing? I know how to get rid of the items in the picture I just wanted to know how to extract. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 12:55 AM

Jean:

As far as which program to buy, Photoshop is worth the money in the long run because it can do so much.

As far as dogs in cages, I see nothing wrong with picturing them that way... for a web page, I'm guessing. When I see an animal in a cage I am more likely to want to save it and give it a nice home. It makes the animals look like they need a home...and they DO! My sister-in-law runs a shelter also and she posts pics of her animals all the time...sitting in their cages or on the floor or anywhere they happen to be. They get adopted just the same, so I would not worry about "presentation" in this case...really.

Phyllis [/B][/QUOTE]
Phyllis, Thanks for the tips about the animals - These pets go on Petfinders.org. I Mainly wanted to know how to extract - I can remove items from a picture but I can't extract. What would you do with this picture of a very laid back cat named Romeow! I am just trying to learn so could I take out the background and make him look like he is lounging over something else? Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg romeo1.jpg (71.2 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 02:49 AM

For Blacknight -

I looked at Sarah's tututorial and am lost - I need Photoshop for that. How did you do that Picture in one minute? Did you use a mask? If you know of a newbie tutorial on extracting like you did , please let me know. And, did you spray paint that background?
Sorry for all the questions - I know I have to start at the begenning but this one function I want to do now if I can. Thanks, Jean
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 05:46 AM

Is this the sort of idea you had?

I used PSP8 beta, and promoted the cat to a layer. Then I removed the background, added another layer behind that one, added a gradient, then added a bit of noise so it would match the rest of the image. I also removed the seam from the shoulder so that it would look like he was draped over a cloth instead.

Tyeise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg romeo2.jpg (93.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 07:17 AM

A link to further links on masking/extraction:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#M

Stephen Marsh.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 08:35 AM

Masking/Background/Layering

Tyese, That came out perfect and Yes, it is just what I am trying to learn how to do. Thanks so much. - I will try the links Stephen left for learning.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 08:41 AM

Masking/Layering, etc.

Stephen, The links are what I am looking for and will let you all know when I can do this on my own. Thanks to all for their kind replies and patience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 09:17 AM

Glad I could be of help, Jean. PSP 8 has a new background eraser. It takes a little practice getting just the right settings, but I used that for the majority, and then cleaned up the rest with the regular eraser.

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanmilden1
How do you extract the darn thing? I know how to get rid of the items in the picture I just wanted to know how to extract. Thanks.
Hi Jean. I posted the dog with green background so you could use whichever program you have to delete the green, then you could put any background behind there you want, and see if you really think it's better than carpet. But it looks like you decided to go the extraction route so here are some initial tips.

1. Doing a good extraction is not based on using an Adobe product. Even with Photoshop is can be very difficult to extract hair, and impossible to do a good job if you don't have some practice at it.

2. If one wants all the tools at hand needed for extractions, Elements doesn't hack it. The software must have direct access to channels to do this, and that's not Elements.

3. One of the most important things to know before trying extractions is the nature of pixels where your object meets the background. For example, if you have someone wearing a tan hat with a blue sky behind, the pixels at the extraction point will each be a mixture of blue and tan. And when the background is removed, there will be a bluish fringe around the hat that will stand out against a different background. This can be dealt with, but it can be confusing to see for the first time.

I went out on the web and found a few tutorials that cover different ways to extract. The reason I am not writing up a method myself is one method does not work on all pictures, and these links should give you a good overview and some good practice. If you run into problems with the tutorials, feel free to ask for help.

Tutorials

Here is an article about tools and techniques for removing backgrounds. The one that covers Photoshop techniques is probably the best one to read. Much of it can be done with other software too.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/librar.../aa000607a.htm

I picked this next one because it seemed like a good overview of masking in channels. I also like the way it shows the final messy result that sometimes happens, and explains how to clean it up. Although, I think there are easier ways to clean it, and so I guess no tutorial is perfect.

http://dancingbones.org/xena/tips/te...s/masking.html

Anyway, this should get you off to a good start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 12:16 AM

Extractions

Andrew,
Really appreciate your advice and Glad you told me about Elements because someone else said It could do about 90% of what Photoshop 7 would do - with his book.
As far as the Rug goes - I just picked a picture and really wasn't particular what was in it. However, you did a great job - I printed it out and it looks beautiful (I printed the one you sent me with the taupe background). I take lots of pictures of animals and like the one I am attaching I think the cat is pretty but don't like the bars behind. Some of these pictures go on our local access tv channel - they really don't care about the bars but , my objective was to learn how to remove the background or extract the main object. Thanks for the Tutorials. Tyeise did a great job with the laid back Cat. This little guy I am attaching is falling asleep . Right now I am using my old paint shop ver 3 - deleated Paint ShopPro and tried to download Elements - but don't have enough room - So now I need a computer plus photoshop 7 - Maybe I can make a deal - new computer if they lanyappe photoshop!lol
I don't have a tool for removing that green background - by the way - all the fur on my little doggie came out perfect so you did a great job. Have a Great Weekend -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cats.jpg (35.4 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101