RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Cloning & background

Old 03-08-2003, 02:55 AM

Re: Extractions

>>Glad you told me about Elements because someone else said It could do about 90% of what Photoshop 7 would do - with his book.<<

Ah, that's right. Richard Lynch found ways to add features to Elements. I'll have to ask him what kind of interface he can put on Elements channels. Maybe it will be enough. I'll check.

>>I printed it out and it looks beautiful (I printed the one you sent me with the taupe background).<<

I think someone else did the taupe one. I posted a green one and a rug one.

>>I don't have a tool for removing that green background - by the way<<

Turns out I made a big mistake. With that green background and nothing else green in the picture, I assumed it would be easy to select and remove. I just tried and it is not. The green merged so well with the partially transparent fur pixels that its fringing with simple extractions. If you still need one with a transparent background, I still have the original extraction I made.

Anyway, good luck with the tutorials.

...Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 05:20 AM

If you're used to PSP, why don't you download the trial version of their newest version? You'd be amazed at what you see - I doubt you'd think its the same program. They have really added so much to it!

If you download the beta version of 8, it's still a little buggy, and not everything works perfectly yet. But it would give you an idea of all the wonderful tools it has.

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 10:41 AM

Extractions

Andrew, Thanks for checking with Richard about elements. And, Danny Raphael is the one who sent me the cat with the taupe background - so did blacknight - Geeeee so many nice folks trying to help I can't remember all their names.

(( With that green background and nothing else green in the picture, I assumed it would be easy to select and remove. )) - By selecting I am assuming you mean like a lasso tool tracing and then copying to a new color background? Have the feeling that is not what you mean. I am attaching a picture of the cat with the bars and this is about what I can do - sorry to have to post this
But this shows about what I can do. - I will read all the information - everyone sent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat example of mess.jpg (26.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyeise
If you're used to PSP, why don't you download the trial version of their newest version? You'd be amazed at what you see - I doubt you'd think its the same program. They have really added so much to it!

If you download the beta version of 8, it's still a little buggy, and not everything works perfectly yet. But it would give you an idea of all the wonderful tools it has.

Tyeise
--
Tyeise, I have Ver 3 of Paint Shop from 1992 - and it is sooo very different that I decided to go with Photoshop since there is more written information for I can access. I would have to start all over again anyway with the new Version of PSP.
Jean - I have Your Rendention of the Cat on my board and sent it to the shelter workers and they were amazed at what you can do. - Well, Don't know how long it will take me to get there - it would be much easier to go to a class. Have a Great Weekend
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 12:23 PM

Hi all, I've had to give up on PhotoShop 6 since I've moved to OSX and PS6 won't run under OSX except in "Classic" mode and that causes me big problems.

I downloaded PS Elements 2 this morning and am seeing if it will work for me. So far it's done everything I wanted, but I hadn't noticed that there is no direct access to channels (I rarely used them anyway) but when I found that there was no "layer mask" I became a bit concerned - I used layer masks all the time.

This doggie picture got me thinking, so I tried to see if I could "fake" a layer mask and it turns out it's very simple.

I won't bore you with the details, but if anyone wants to know, just ask.

Here's my effort with this little doggie. I'm not that thrilled with the background - it always seems to me that he's levitating but I managed to extract him from the original background and that's what I was trying to do

Take care, Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doggie.jpg (12.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 12:35 PM

Here's your kitty without the bars, using the clone tool. :-)

Tyeise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cats 1.jpg (52.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 01:54 PM

I couldn't resist trying with the kitten too. Jean, you were almost there - it's not hard, just takes a bit of practice.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 01:55 PM

I guess I should have attached the image

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitty.jpg (7.1 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 04:48 PM

Re: Extractions

Jean,

>>(( With that green background and nothing else green in the picture, I assumed it would be easy to select and remove. )) - By selecting I am assuming you mean like a lasso tool tracing and then copying to a new color background? Have the feeling that is not what you mean.<<

Well, the one I had in mind was Magic Wand. I thought you would just be able to click anywhere on the green and it would select everything green. Didn't work.

>>I am attaching a picture of the cat with the bars and this is about what I can do

Were it me, I would not extract this. I'd do the same thing Tyeise did and use the clone tool to copy adjacent parts of the picture over the bars. This is probably the most natural look without bars.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 05:04 PM

Jean,

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but you might want to check out this challenge from a while back. I submitted a picture of my two cats that I wanted to extract from the background and there were quite a few submissions with different ways of doing it - along with explanations of course. You might want to find a few submissions that you particularly like and see how they were done.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101