RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Cloning & background

Old 03-08-2003, 06:19 PM

Fake layer/Cloning

Winwintoo:- You may email me privately if you would like to tell me how you did the dog. I am glad you were able to use Elements as that is the program I wanted because of the lesser cost and my being a newbie. Andrew has been helping me a lot on that. How do you fake a layer? The dog and cat came out really good I should have posted a different pose as now I have so many professional looking phtos of the same doggie pose. However, really is good learning experience to see what can be done with one picture. I liked your shawdows in the background of both pictures. Did you use the clone tool on the cat as Tyeise did? And How did you create the background. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyeise
Here's your kitty without the bars, using the clone tool. :-)

Tyeise
Tyeise, So you just cloned him and put him on a dark background ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 06:43 PM

Hi Jean. I forgot to mention that I started asking about Elements Channels. And it looks like there is a way to do this, but I'm asking more questions.

I don't know how to add a link to the message, so here is the path so you can follow along:

RetouchPRO Forums > Tools > Education > "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements" > New Hidden Power > Elements and Channels
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 07:28 PM

Jean,

No, I didn't clone the cat, and put him on a dark background. I made my clone brush smaller than the bars, and cloned the dark part of the background over the bars.

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyeise
Jean,

No, I didn't clone the cat, and put him on a dark background. I made my clone brush smaller than the bars, and cloned the dark part of the background over the bars.

Tyeise
Tyeise, I will try that - I don't think I can make my clone brush smaller - ver 3 - But I will try and post with what I come up with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew B.
Hi Jean. I forgot to mention that I started asking about Elements Channels. And it looks like there is a way to do this, but I'm asking more questions.

I don't know how to add a link to the message, so here is the path so you can follow along:

RetouchPRO Forums > Tools > Education > "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements" > New Hidden Power > Elements and Channels
Andrew, Thanks - I have been sitting at this computer all day and have not been able to achieve the extracting, etc. - I need the new program. Here is my little dog - and you don't have to do anything to him - just showing him off.
Jean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bink look up.jpg (61.9 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 07:46 PM

I can make my clone brush anywhere from 1 to 500 pixels in size. I can also vary the hardness (how sharp the outline is) as well as the opacity (how much of the background I add all at once. You also can have a choice of aligned or not aligned, as well as blend mode. I usually use normal blend mode and aligned, but for your cat, I thought about using not aligned.

If you need more info, don't be afraid to ask. :-)

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 07:55 PM

Faking a layer mask in PSE

Hi Jean, I'm going to post the instructions here because I find it distracting to read posts that refer to other discussions that take place in private rather than right here in the forum.

I'm guessing you're not the only one who might benefit from this so here goes:

Earlier your mentioned that you were confused about layers and masks. Layers first.

Layers are like transparent sheets of glass or plastic one on top of another. As long as there is no paint on the glass, you can see through it to the layer(s) below it. When you pour paint on the layer you can no longer see through it. Just like pouring paint on a sheet of glass would make it opaque.

Now imagine two layers of glass. One has the picture of your dog on it. The one on top of it has solid blue paint on it. You always look down on the layers so when you look down all you see is blue. Now if you took your fingernail or the edge of a credit card and scraped off some of the blue paint, you could see the dog again where the paint was scraped off. If you had nothing better to do, you could carefully scrape away the blue paint so you could see all of the dog, but none of the clutter or the carpet the dog is sitting on. If you slipped and scraped too much paint off, you could take a small brush and put some blue paint back.

What's a layer mask?? Well I couldn't figure it out either and in Photoshop, I still don't understand why or how they settled on the implementation they did. PSE has a MUCH EASIER WAY to accomplish the same thing.

There is probably some exotic explanation for layer masks, but what I use them for and I suspect what you will be using them for is simply to make a selection of part of an image. After the divorce, get rid of the groom and keep the bride in all the wedding pictures - that sort of thing

Now I'll try to explain in terms of your dog picture. What you want to do is keep the dog and get rid of all the rest. You already tried by using some sort of selection tool. Someone here suggested using the eraser to erase the part you don't want. That's one way, but there is the danger of the eraser slipping and recovering from an eraser slip is difficult.

Here's what I do. First, I made a copy of the original image (never work on the original) Now I took the lasso selection tool and selected loosely around the dog and saved the selection - call the selection "dog".

Now you've got the original on one layer, and on top of that another layer with a copy of the original. Now make a new empty layer and fill it with a color of your choice - the more contrast to the dog the better (I used bright blue)

Now with the blue layer selected, load the dog selection and then hit delete. Now you've got the blue layer with a hole in it so you can see the dog showing through. The problem at this point is that the original selection was not close enough to the edges of the dog and it looks messy - right?

Now pick a small paint brush and with blue paint on the blue layer, start painting around the edges of the dog. If you slop paint onto the dog, take the eraser and remove it.

When you're satisfied that you are as close to the edges of the dog as you can get, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the blue channel in the layer palet. You should have marching ants around the hole in the blue paint.

Save the selection again and call it "better dog". Click on the "eye" on the blue layer so you can'd see the blue any more.

Now click on the middle layer - the one with the copy of the dog picture - so that it is active. You should have the marching ants still there, but if you lost them, go Select, load selection and pick the selection called "better dog".

Do Ctrl + C and then Ctrl+V to copy the dog to a new layer. Click the "eye's off on all the other layers and you should see just the dog on a layer by itself.

You just faked a layer mask!

You could get rid of the blue layer now but I keep it around for a while just in case I need it again.

Now you can make a new empty layer and drag it below the layer with just the dog on it.This new layer will be the background. You can fill it any way you wan to - I can't remember what all I did, but I'll see if I can reproduce it and let you know.

Hope this helps, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Jean,

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but you might want to check out this challenge from a while back. I submitted a picture of my two cats that I wanted to extract from the background and there were quite a few submissions with different ways of doing it - along with explanations of course. You might want to find a few submissions that you particularly like and see how they were done.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jeanie
Jeanie, I will try this tomorrow - thanks so much - I need all the help everyone is giving me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 08:02 PM

Hi Winwintoo,

You said: "Someone here suggested using the eraser to erase the part you don't want. That's one way, but there is the danger of the eraser slipping and recovering from an eraser slip is difficult."

I don't know what program you are using. In PSP with the eraser tool you use the left click on the mouse while you are erasing. If you slip and take out a bit too much, you just right click and put back what you erased and try again. :-)

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101