RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Cloning & background

Old 03-08-2003, 09:21 PM

Here is my cat - no bars

Andrew, Tyeise, winwintoo, Jeanie, Danny and all who have helped - I have a lot to learn but here is my cat - Tyeise - you were right I did have controls on the paint brush (duh)- Just didn't know I had to double click it. You guys are so experienced that I think you take small things like that for granted.
Still want to know how winwintoo did it but that will have to be tomorrow. Will print out your instructions and give it a go. I think I have been sitting here till 8 a. m. - I would and will try to send a cute joke that just came to me but it might be too long for the Chuckels of the Day - not really long but has an attachment.but will try it. Think I have grown a little older since this morning. But have had fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catclonedjm.jpg (34.6 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 09:38 PM

Watercolor/or something close to it

Hi All, Just my first watercolor - crude but I sort of wanted it that way. This is my shih tzu that you guys have been working on - that is not a cigarette just the last of his little bone. - I think I did that when I download the tryout ver of paintshop pro - He looks like he should be hanging out by a lamp post on Bourbon Street - I am from New Orleans. You guys have a Great Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yenwat eye.jpg (71.7 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2003, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Jean,

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but you might want to check out [
Hope this helps a bit.

Jeanie
Just looked at your beautiful Cats -I have so many pictures of cats I don't know why I didn't pick better ones to post but I got a lot out of this experience. Your Cat Challenge was interesting and Shirley was my first pick, then Jim Caffrey, Ron Lemire Gerry Monaghan (Unique to say the least!) David Kendel (a mention) - I judged by the fur especially looking at the cat on the right his puffy left cheek really must have been a challenge because only these few got it perfect. Well, Andrew told me fur was a hard project and now I know. But , if you look up further on this thread you will see Blacknight posted a picture of my dog and said it took him one minute! --- (How?) I am just noticing you are a moderator. If I posted this note to you as Reply to Post would you be notified? I am not sure how this works. Point me to the rules - I get so lost I have to bookmark everyplace I go or else I would never find it again. I also want to post that cute movie clip to Chuckels of the Day - It is 1.39 MB - with dos ext of mpg. Will they let me do that? You Guys are Great! Can't believe all the help in here. -
Jean
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2003, 03:37 PM

Re: Here is my cat - no bars

>>You guys are so experienced that I think you take small things like that for granted.

Learning how to do backgrounds as your first photo-editing project is sort of like learning to swim in white water rapids. It's not easy to learn the advanced without the basics. On the other hand, you seem to have the tenacity to do it this way.

Anyway, I think your bar removal is very good. One thing that distracts me are some light-colored hairs along the top that could be darkened a little. No big deal in terms of your technique, but it makes for a rougher feel, which makes the cat look a touch less healthy.

The only other thing I would suggest is to look at the version with the bars and the one without the bars. Ignore your thoughts about which background looks better, and instead feel which version tugs at you more to adopt the cat. In this case, I'm not saying one is better than the other; it is just a step I would do with every pet-adoption picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2003, 01:14 AM

But , if you look up further on this thread you will see Blacknight posted a picture of my dog and said it took him one minute! --- (How?)

It looks to me like he used a soft-edged brush and went quickly around the dog. If you look closely, he doesn't really have any detailed fur at the edges, just a nice soft look. I assume he copied the dog to a new layer - then I can't tell if he just blurred the heck out of the background already there (the rug) or created a new background based on the original color of the rug. He also added some texture to the background that complements the dog's fur nicely. The trick to the simplicity of what he did is that he used a similar color for the new background. Trying to do that and move the dog onto a background of contrasting color might not have worked as well. Anyway, that's why that particular photo was able to be finished so quickly.

Also, it sounds as though you are just starting out. For those of us who can do things a little faster, it's mostly because we've been practicing for a bit longer than you have. We all started where you are though, so don't get discouraged. You will get faster!

I am just noticing you are a moderator. If I posted this note to you as Reply to Post would you be notified? I am not sure how this works.

If I have posted to a thread, then I get e-mail notifications for subsequent new posts to the same thread. If I don't post to a thread, then I will pick up new posts when I click on the "New Posts" menu item. This is the same behavior for all members - I don't get any special notification as a moderator.

Point me to the rules - I get so lost I have to bookmark everyplace I go or else I would never find it again.

Rules for what? How to get around the site? What you're allowed to post and what you're not? You might want to read the FAQ. The sitemap may be helpful to you as well. If you need more info than that, let me know what's got you confused.

I also want to post that cute movie clip to Chuckels of the Day - It is 1.39 MB - with dos ext of mpg. Will they let me do that?

Unfortunately, there's a 100KB limit for attachments to posts in the forums. (200KB in the gallery.) So, you won't be able to post it directly. You could put it on a website somewhere and post a link to it however.

Hope this helps,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2003, 03:16 AM

Had No Idea!

Jean

((Learning how to do backgrounds as your first photo-editing project is sort of like learning to swim in white water rapids. )) -

Andrew:_ No one told me that , AND I THINK I JUST DROWNED TODAY!

Started out with Margaret's notes and realized I have no layer function on Paint Shp 3. Tried to Mask and that didn't work. So I started with a selection and copied it - made a duplicate of the original and covered it with a color and them pasted the selection . By the time I got half way thru my white dog had turned pink from I don't know what. So, I had to copy the original dog onto the pink dog . Now, you realize I am going back and forth between the orginal photo and the new one - I started getting dizzy! then started working on a spray paint background. Well, my spray can does not spray - just round blobs . So I fiddled with every tool until I sort of was satisfied - - Here I am at 3:00 a.m. - think I forgot to eat lunch and dinner. I did a sort of a look a like (extraction) - but won't post it - for taking me this long I should have a master -piece! I will do it - just need a little more time and Elements. And, that's coming soon.

Re:- No Bars Cat:- ((One thing that distracts me are some light-colored hairs along the top that could be darkened a little. )) I did that trying to brighten him up - guess it just made him look green along the edge - Should have just lighten him a bit.

((The only other thing I would suggest is to look at the version with the bars and the one without the bars. )) I know what you mean but I was just looking for a project - He was adopted bars and all! Thanks, and Good Night
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2003, 10:03 PM

Re: Had No Idea!

Jean,

>>Started out with Margaret's notes and realized I have no layer function on Paint Shp 3.

I didn't see Margaret's notes, but layers help a lot. One method is to put the background on a layer under the foreground, and paint black onto a layer mask of the upper layer. As you are painting you don't see black going onto the picture. What you see is the background showing through where you paint. And if you make a mistake, you paint with white and the foreground comes back. Of course, it is not easy to perfectly paint into the area where you went your background to meet your foreground. That is where selection techniques come into play, and there are several method, each with its own advantage. But once it's selected it's easier to paint in there. And then fix the edge.

>>for taking me this long I should have a master -piece!

Nah. You're still getting used to the tools and seeing how they work.

BTW, I love the picture or your dog. And that carpet looks gorgeous, what I can see of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2003, 12:01 AM

Hi - I finally made a halfway decent extraction - Some of the fur looks good and other parts not so but at least it is not pink like the one from Sunday. Thanks to all - Can't wait to get Elements. You can give feedback - anything will be appreciated. Tyeise - I just wanted to tell you that cat (orange Tabby) named Romeo really looks Great - Do you think I would be able to do that with Elements? -
---Andrew - I copied the links you sent - haven't had the time to look at them yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint no. 3.jpg (73.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2003, 06:28 AM

Hello Jean,

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanmilden1
Tyeise - I just wanted to tell you that cat (orange Tabby) named Romeo really looks Great - Do you think I would be able to do that with Elements? -
I'm afraid I can't help you much with this question, as I haven't used Elements.

I will say that I couldn't have done it without PSP's new background eraser tool. Otherwise I would have lost all those little pieces of fur and whiskers sticking out.

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2003, 04:21 PM

one of the best tips I've ever learnt was from this thread http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...ghlight=smudge
it's great to make the hair on animals and people look more natural byt extending them and giving that "fluffy look"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101