RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Cloning & background

Old 03-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Hi Jean.

>>I finally made a halfway decent extraction - Some of the fur looks good and other parts not so but at least it is not pink like the one from Sunday. <<

Looks like you are getting there in leaps and bounds. There are some things I could pick on, but it looks like you see them too. Still pretty good.

BTW, I also see problems in my own dog on green extraction, and I have more experience. But it will serve as a reminder to me about what I overlooked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2003, 06:44 AM

Post extraction (via any method) - the use of the clone stamp tool in Color blend mode or a layer in Color blend mode is good for touching up the edge in some cases. As you do not have to worry about messing up detail, one can be pretty rough n ready with the clone work taking colour from inside the image. This is very handy when objects take on edge reflections of their surrounds, which then look weird when the object is taken out of the background.

Then there is the defringe command, which is more for manual masking than the Extract tool (which uses it's own built in edge method).

More on the subject of masking/extraction:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#M

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2003, 12:31 PM

Sandra, Andrew and Stephen, Thanks for all the links. Sandra, I read about the Smudge - but don't have it hope it comes with elements. Stephen, The last link you sent has everything anyone could ever want about extraction - So, looks like I will be reading for the next couple of weeks. Had to grin to myself after I pulled up Stephen's link - as if he was quietly saying - "Here it is girl - all you could want to know about cloning - so stop your boohooing"! - sooo much in there it is hard to know what to pick. After reading some of this it is like you all are talking a second language. - How long have you guys been doing this? -- I have looked at all your creations on the different forums and am honored to have your help. Andrew thanks for your comments on my Dog Ext. This was the original picture - he just got back from the groomer and hates bows so he pushed his head against the sofa till it landed on the side of his face. The only tool I used was the lasso to pick the selection - then copy and put a new image with the same color background and then Edit and paste.
P.S. is there a spell check on here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yen bow.jpg (80.2 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 02:36 AM

Hi everyone, Just wanted to let Andrew, Stephen, Tyeise, Sandra ,
Jeanie, Blacknight, pstewart and Winwinto (spel?) that I have been practicing and all your help was invaluable. I can now do some of the methods we talked about in the beginning. I will post a couple -- not like you guys but I am coming along.
Jean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg azalea_no_2_photo greypk bk.jpg (63.1 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 02:43 AM

This is a picture of my dog I posted earlier. I cannot take credit for the hat as Phyllis did that - but I did extract and fix fur and new background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yen frenchie.jpg (39.0 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 06:53 AM

Nice work, Jean! Looks like you are really getting the hang of it!

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101