RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Cloning & background

Old 03-02-2003, 08:23 AM

Unhappy Cloning & background

I have been using my digital camera for 6 months and working with a very old paint shop version. I just downloaded a newer version for a tryout - but think I will go with photoshop. Anyway, I am a newbie and I know how to clone but it leaves much to be desired. How do you all get that selected area in another photo without it looking like it has been copied. Mine always has parts of the remaining photo in it. Yes, I can smooth it in but it never looks right. Maybe there is a article I can read if someone can point me in that direction. And, I don't understand Mask and layers. Thanks for any information. Jean
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 05:08 PM

Hi Jean. I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about selecting and copying a person or background from one picture to another and it doesn't blend in right??? Or are you using the clone tool within an area on one picture and it's not working right?

Can you post a picture to show us the problem you are having?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 07:38 PM

Cloning

Andrew, I am having trouble with both. I take lots of pictures of shelter animals and put them on Petfinders - I would like to give them a nice looking background instead of the cages they are in - that is my main problem. Here is a picture I would like to replace the background - and I can't get him out looking professional. Thanks for helping.
Not too sure how to work this but the first picture is the original and I will post the next (Mess) in another post as I don't know how to upload two pictures at once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untouch yennie.jpg (62.1 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 07:41 PM

This is the one I used the clone tool on - I am sort of thinking I am way off base. Jean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch yen.jpg (65.1 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 08:20 PM

I think what you're looking for can best be found in a mask, and in Photoshop it's really very easy. Here is a URL for Sarah's Watercolor tutorial, but it explains mask usage very well. I did the attached pic in about a minute using a mask. Once you do it, you'll wonder why you ever thought it was hard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (98.3 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 08:42 PM

Blacknight, That was Great - just what I am looking to do. I am using Paint Shop Pro Ver.3 from the days of yesteryear! I do have to buy a new program so I guess it will be Photoshop - do you think Elements will do it ok or will I need the 7. Thanks so much for your help - The picture looks great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 08:59 PM

I think Big Al uses PSP. There may be others here who do also. I use Photoshop, and am not familiar with elements. Richard Lynch could no doubt answer the Elements question for you. They are both here, if you look under members, and I'm sure would be happy to assist you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 12:09 AM

Jean,

I think the photo you posted looks pretty good as is. Were it me, I would not remove the background. I would just remove the three objects sitting on the carpet. And the reason I would leave the carpet is it's pretty adorable to have a little dog looking at you with that look on his/her face, and the carpet there makes it feel almost real. I'm attaching what I would do.

But I have to ask you something. What will the output be. Will this be printed, photocopied, posted on a web page, something else? The output makes a big difference in what kind of photo you want to prepare.

BTW, I did a quick extraction of the dog from the background, and it's not one of the easier photo operations one can do. I'll attach it to the next message in case you want to play with it. I put it on a bright green background so you can easily select the green with the magic wand tool and remove or replace it.

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog_on_carpet.jpg (28.0 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 12:11 AM

And here it the extracted dog on a green background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog-over-green-background.jpg (44.2 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 02:47 AM

Andrew, nice job with the extraction tool. That is not the easiest filter to use for a beginner, however, so maybe your first suggestion is the better one in this case. I too like the rug.

Jean:

As far as which program to buy, Photoshop is worth the money in the long run because it can do so much.

As far as dogs in cages, I see nothing wrong with picturing them that way... for a web page, I'm guessing. When I see an animal in a cage I am more likely to want to save it and give it a nice home. It makes the animals look like they need a home...and they DO! My sister-in-law runs a shelter also and she posts pics of her animals all the time...sitting in their cages or on the floor or anywhere they happen to be. They get adopted just the same, so I would not worry about "presentation" in this case...really.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101