RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

How do you learn to do "Photo-art"?

Old 04-02-2003, 01:53 PM

Do you mean the texture? If that, it's not a layer it's a filter/texture/texturizer, and then you choose "load texture" and then find your .psd image. That's it.
If you like I could email you the image - it's well over 1MB.

Lawrence
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 PM

aha! I learned something new!

thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM

Glad you're learning

Scott and Lawrence:

Your kind words are sincerely appreciated. This IS a great site to learn and play and take risks. Your posts will encourage others to give photo-art a try and to share their results in this forum.

Keep up the good work... Keep sharing... ask LOTS of questions and keep having FUN!

- - - - - -
Lawrence:

Good for you for action-izing the Georges method. You'd be welcome to .zip that action and post it in the photo-art actions thread for others to download if you like.

Here's a link: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2653

Glad you found RP. It's always a pleasure to welcome new folks.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 01:51 PM

I'm Back

Just wanted to say that it's good to be back here at RetouchPro. I took a brief hiatus from the world of digtal imaging while I went back to school to become a licensned veterinary technician. Now that school is over and the studying is done I can return to my hobbies! Still looking for a way to "professionally" combine my knowledge of critters with the world of digital media . . . in the mean time though I need to re-learn all that I have forgotten about Photoshop. I think it would be fun to take pictures of our clients pets and turn them into works of art. This looks like a good place to start!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 09:29 AM

Animal gallery - digipets Isabel Cutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj
Just wanted to say that it's good to be back here at RetouchPro. I took a brief hiatus from the world of digtal imaging while I went back to school to become a licensned veterinary technician. Now that school is over and the studying is done I can return to my hobbies! Still looking for a way to "professionally" combine my knowledge of critters with the world of digital media . . . in the mean time though I need to re-learn all that I have forgotten about Photoshop. I think it would be fun to take pictures of our clients pets and turn them into works of art. This looks like a good place to start!
Welcome back and congrats on the new career.

Not to worry cuz you've been away for awhile. Just like riding a bike, you'll be back cranking out digitial art before you know it!

Since you'll be busy while at work, you many not have a lot of time to take a lot of pics. So, if you need any kitty or doggie pix to practice on, Isabel Cutler has a very nice collection here:

From her site: "If you're interested in learning more and sharing about pet photograph join my Digipets yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digipets and visit our Digipets galleries at pbase: http://www.pbase.com/digipets "

IMPORTANT: These cannot be converted to art and posted here at RetouchPRO w/o Isabel's permission, but if you ask, I'm sure she'll give the OK if that's something you wanted to do.

Nice to have you back.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 02:19 PM

Great Link

That's a great link Danny--thanks a bunch. Useful also because I am interested in learning how to take better digital photos. Luckily I also have four cats and a dog and they usually keep me stockpiled with photos.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 09:59 AM

Can I suggest there is one addition -- some of the source of photo-art may be in the capture of the image itself. For example, see attached. While there was some interesting method in post processing, had it not been for the source, I don't believe I'd ever have come to this end. And I never used a single freehand tool (paintbrush, pencil, pen, smudge) or filter. This was mostly due to using a specific soft lens with an incredibly short depth-of-field at the shortest focal length (the top part of the image actually fragmented that way in the capture). The rest was Photoshop color and tone correction techniques.

There is something to be said about drawing and running filters...but to me it doesn't matter how the art is created so long as you develop skills and explore, experiment and ENJOY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample_berry2.jpg (94.1 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Way Cool Richard!!! I agree wholeheartedly.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Patron

Re: How do you learn to do "Photo-art"?

Background; many years ago, I use to be an EE and needed to convert some bitmaps to vector (don't ask; can't remember exactly why anyway). I used Hijaak Pro for the vector conversion at that time (and wish I had a copy of this program). I couldn't help but noticed that certain settings really gave a painterly look to the image. Several years later, I found I had a lot of time on my hands so I started to fool around with vector simplication (Autotrace/Potrace with Mayura for interface) and also filters (mainly PS compatible filters) in GIMP. It was the play that got me hooked. I found myself enjoying it; it also kept me sane during a very bad period that I won't go into details. Suffice it to say, I survived. Now, with all the filters and editing programs at my disposal (GIMP and CS2 to name a few), I've managed to learn a lot thanks to boards like RetouchPRO. You guys are awesome and I do appreciate the creativity here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101