RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

TUTORIAL 08: .Find Edges + Blend mode = Overlay

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:40 PM

TUTORIAL 08: .Find Edges + Blend mode = Overlay

This method is so easy I don't know why I didn't think of posting it earlier. The results can be used as a basis on which to build or sometimes "as is" is just fine.

Guidelines:
* Usually works best on scenery, flowers, buildings -- images with distinct edges.
* Beware: It generally doesn't work well on faces.

Steps:
1. Duplicate Background.
2. Run Find Edges on the duplicated layer.
3. Change the layer blend mode from Normal to Overlay.

In addition you might want to apply Levels and/or Hue/Saturation adjustment layers to the top of the layer stack to increase contrast or boost color saturation.

Check out the last post in this thread for a cool trick!

Questions? Comments? Wanna show your ownt results? Click HERE

Keep havin' fun!
~DannyR~

= = = = = = = =

"Before" image attached. Borrowed it from
THIS THREAD
(Thanks, Bubba!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailbox-01-orig.jpg (68.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-13-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:42 PM

With BG duplicated, filter Find Edges applied and blend mode changed from Normal to Overlay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailbox-02-fe+overlay.jpg (56.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 PM

With Layers and Hue/Saturation adjustment layers added for contrast and saturation boost.

Note: I intntionally went way overboard (setting-wise) with these adjustment layers to illustrate the possibilities. In "real life" I would normally make less extreme adjustments.

Notice I changed the color of the flowers a bit? Did this by choosing "Magenta" from the "Edit" dropdown menu and setting hue to 62, saturation to 40 and lightness to 12.

What's cool about adjustment layers?

Suppose "on screen" this looks pretty good... then you go and print it and on paper, it's way too green or you don't like the flower colors as much as you thought you might or [fill in your reason]. No problem. Further "adjust" the adjustment layer settings or turn it off completely if you like. Sure can't do that by applying effects from the IMAGE > ADJUST(MENTS) menu. You can achieve the same results without this "do over" flexibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailbox-03-adj-layers.jpg (75.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-13-2003, 09:40 PM

Oh nuts... would you look at that. Now the mailbox is really "washed out."

What do to?

1. Duplicate the Background and drag the new layer to the top of the layer stack. ("Oh no. This is what we started with!")

2. Click the "add layer mask" icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette (white thumbnail appears).

3. While holding down the CTRL key, click I. (CTRL + I) This will "invert" the layer mask thumbnail -- white to black. Presto... original image is gone, but there's that ugly, washed out mailbox again.

4. Click X key to change the foreground color to white.

5. If you have PS 5 or 6 select the Airbrush from the tools palette. If you're a PS7 user, select the brush tool and click the Airbrush icon in the tool bar. Set pressure / flow / opacity low (25%-35% or so).

6. Start airbrushing over the mailbox to restore some original color and texture to the sides. If you want to get a little fancy, you can adjust the opacity setting as you paint the sides -- giving the illusion of edges that were lost in the original image.

COOL TRICK: To paint or erase or clone or heal or whatever in a perfectly stright line:
* With your tool of choice selected, click where you want to start to paint, erase, clone, whatever
* Then while holding down the SHIFT key, click the "end point." Photoshop will draw a perfectly straight line from the initial click to the second one.

7. To give the restored birdhouse color a little body, I added some "noise" (Noise > Add Noise): Settings: 7, Gaussian.

OK... Enough. Time to go watch Survivor.

I know one thing: It won't be ME who gets voted off the island tonight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailbox-04a-noise.jpg (57.7 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-13-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101