RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Tutorial 08: Questions, discussion, results

Old 03-13-2003, 09:56 PM

Tutorial 08: Questions, discussion, results

This is where to post questions, comments, results regarding Tutorial 8 (click HERE).

Show us what you've got!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2003, 03:41 PM

OK Danny - I will attempt to start the ball rolling.

Let's examine the method first.

i) Find edges is used on a duped layer to produce a layer which contains strong edge contrast. The results of find edges is a white image with various degrees of intensity for the colour edges.

ii) Overlay blend mode is used.

Before running the find edges command, try a despeckle or small blur to the duped layer to reduce the chance of noise being detected. Also try desaturating the coloured edges produced by the filter. One could also experiment with other edge detectors built into Photoshop or other image editors. Or one could use a 'Detection Sampler' action found in my Photoshop custom convolution action pack (Roberts, Prewitt, Robinson, Sobel and Kirsch edge detection kernels).

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...volcorner.html

In a way this method is similar to the high pass sharpening and other sharpening techniques. The major difference being that these filtering methods produce a mid gray background colour and not white - which really changes the result of the overlay blend mode effect. The edge detection is also different than say high pass - so you get a more artistic edge effect with find edges than a sharpening effect.

Overlay - Multiplies or screens the colors, depending on the base color. Patterns or colors overlay the existing pixels while preserving the highlights and shadows of the base color. The base color is not replaced but is mixed with the blend color to reflect the lightness or darkness of the original color [Adobe].

http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/blendmodes/#overlay

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2003, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the Tutorial on Find Edges + Blend mode - Overlay
There is so much on this Forum I get sidetracked when trying to find 101 tutorial. This one answered a lot of my questions on finding edges and what to do with them. I will try Steve's added features soon. In the meantime this is my elementary try - I am working with photoshop elements basic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mail box fin.jpg (80.4 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2003, 08:37 PM

Good for you, Jean. Thank you for sharing your work, here. Your progress is amazing.

You probably have one of the problems I do: Not enough time to read through all the good stuff here at RetouchPRO!

It's a nice problem (addiction?) to have!

Well done. Keep up the good work.
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 12:47 AM

Danny, Thanks for answering my questions. I posted a few pictures and asked for critic but didn't get any. So, I am posting this picture which is # 115 Prom. I lost detail on her neck and she worn a small chain I asked how everybody was able to copy that little object - mine got lost. How does one capture such small objects? One more Question - just real quick answer. What is the difference between Merge down, Merge Visible and Flatten? When you get the chance please respond. Jean
P.S. Thank the Lord I live alone as all I do is stay on this computer - my little doggies sit and beg me to get up and take them for a walk which has been stopped since I got involved in this. You are right - I am addicted. I can't find a texture that is lite for a water color - Trimoon uses one - think he has a special filter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prom last last red.jpg (99.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 12:49 AM

Danny, by the way I used the Mountain Man tut you wrote to start the Prom picture .
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 04:10 AM

Jean writes:

"What is the difference between Merge down, Merge Visible and Flatten?"

Merge down, or cmd/ctrl E - will merge a single targeted upper layer into the layer directly below this upper layer.

Merge visible will combine all visible layers into an editable layer.

Flatten will do similar to above, but the result is a background layer which is locked.

POWER USER TIP:

Make a new empty layer above all your other layers, hold down opt/alt and select merge visible.

Instead of all the layers being merged, they will be stamped into the blank targeted layer. Good for making a 'sharpen layer' in a multi layer file.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2003, 12:18 AM

Jean:

Per e-mail, here's what I'd recommend to restore the necklace detail.

And before I forget, I DO appreciate you posting your questions in this forum.

Once you have your "arty version" done (nice job, by the way. I like how it turned out)...
* Make a copy of your background layer
* Drag to the top of the layer stack
* Create a new layer mask (click button at bottom of Layers Palette) [notice white thumbnail next to image thumbnail in the layer]
* CTRL + I (to invert the layer mask... thumbnail goes from white to black, revealing arty layers below]
* Be sure foreground color is white
* Select small, soft-edge brush
* Lightly airbrush area on neck where necklace should be... (What you're doing... Where you paint white will reveal the contents of the top layer, in this case, the necklace). Switch to black to "undo" if you reveal too much.
* Depending on how the necklace looks against the arty layers, ou may have to run a filter or two on this top layer to arty it up a bit, too. Before applying any filters, click on the image (not the black) thumbnail. Doing so will cause the filter(s) effects to be applied to the layer, not the layer mask.

Here's a tutorial on layer masks that's quite good, that will help fill in any holes I've left.

http://www.shootsmarter.com/suzette.html

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2003, 11:39 PM

Unhappy

Steve, I forgot to thank you for your response to my questons about Merge - It really helped and so easy to understand. Sorry this is a bit late. Jean
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101