Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Q: Advice on achieving a Watercolor look

Old 05-15-2003, 12:32 AM

Would you elaborate on what a ".jpg cleaner" is?
* Plugin?
* Filter?
* 3rd party product?

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2003, 06:21 AM
Would you elaborate on what a ".jpg cleaner" is?

Woops - Sorry. PSP has a filter to pull out jpg artifacts, but I actually prefer the one that comes in Alien Skin's Image Doctor, called jpg repair. It is adjustable.

And the Simplifier is from AmphiSoft.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2003, 09:07 AM

I'm not sure if HP makes a watercolor paper - and the Epson version is large (13x19"), so I don't think that will fit in your printer unless you cut it down (which you could).

A couple of years ago when I was using an HP, I just went to an art store and purchased a pad of watercolor paper. I had to cut it down just a little bit to fit 8.5x11", but I was happy with the results for what I needed at the time. That is, I didn't have anything with fine details, so the "bleeding" of the ink on a traditional, uncoated paper didn't matter. Also, if displayed on a wall (or anywhere but darkness), the image started to fade after a year. If the image is for yourself and you keep your digital file, you can just print a new one though.

I don't think that HP makes a matte paper, but I could be wrong. You might want to just try one of the Epson matte papers and see if you like the results. The paper isn't textured though, so if you want texture, you'll either have to order "fine art paper" online - or you may have an art store near you that sells inkjet art paper. One place that I've found online with a bunch of different fine art paper varieties is InkJetArt. They are not necessarily the cheapest, but they do have a large selection. And, you can order a "sampler pack" with two sheets each of a variety to see what you like best. Somerset Velvet is one type of fine art inkjet paper.

Hope this helps some, though I imagine it's just opened up a whole can of worms for you!

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2003, 11:09 AM
You might also look at They have a wide variety. I haven't gotten good enough to take a lot of care in printing what I do yet so I can't add anything to what the others have said about specific papers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Thumbs down

Tyeise, Danny, Blacknight, CJ, eb. Jeanie,
So Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but for the past few days everytime I would get online I would get kicked off just as fast. Since I loaded all this photo stuff - my computer acts like a stuffed potato with all the trimmings!
All of your suggestions are so informative I cannot begin to say enough of thanks to Ya'lll ! And, thanks for the info on the paper.
All three of your interpertations of this cute lab puppy are wonderful and I will try all for practice. By the way, Blacknight - what is anistropic(spel??) diffuse? I know you can't do without it but what is it?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101