Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

fluffy and cuddley technique

Old 08-15-2003, 02:15 PM
BigKid ---

If you haven't yet, you might check out this site for a plugin called "Paint Engine"...

This can be downloaded for free, but they'll accept donations if you're so inclinded.

This plugin has a lot of settings/variations that can give an image like this some characteristics that Photoshop filters aren't capable of delivering.

I'd say the look you got in #2 is the right direction. You might consider using the "blur tool" to apply targeted blurring in places where you want edges to be a little softer.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2003, 12:35 AM
hi all. I have not been having good "posting karma" tonight. tried to post my latest rendition and, well... here we go again.

thanks also for all the great tips you all posted. it's a lot of fun to take a photo, put it up on this forum, and then let everyone add their own style!

Here's what I ended up with -- and I'm pleased with the results. I don't have all the exact settings documented, but the general tricks are...

1. drybrush
2. sharpen, then sharpen again
3. diffuse anistropic
4. levels, saturation, etc
5. virtual painter pastel, set at low opacity and on overlay mode (probably...)
6. buzz
7. cutout, desaturated, multiply 15%
8. create edges\
9. to add more definition to the face, I copied the background, erased all but the face, then erased the face at about 50% (i can't do layer masks in elements, so this is how I get around it), then blend at hardlite 25%.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheep-a-best-yet3-web.jpg (11.8 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Don't eat me!

This'll put you off "lamb chops" for a while

Cloned the image in painter and applied the furry brush in the "fx" section using clone colour from the original. Cloned back in the eye, nose and surrounding grass from the original. Tossed it into ps for a tiny dose of levels and gave it a simple frame.

You won't have to count many of these cute furry little sheep at night to sleep "like a baby"

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2003, 06:41 AM
Ooooops, must have fallen asleep,
forgot to attach

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuddly_sheep.jpg (32.3 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
I enjoyed working on the pic from a learning point of view. I wanted to see if it was actually possible to get the sheep to look softer. I first did a soft emboss of the entire picture and then concentrated on the sheep by selecting it with the marquee tool, sharpening and using the selective color tool. I put more black into it to make the shadows stand out more. I lost the markings on his face and I wasn't pleased with that. You can make it a bit better with the replace color tool using the eye-dropper on the original.

Thanks for the experience bigkid.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101