RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Photo Backgrounds

Old 12-08-2004, 05:45 PM

Photo Backgrounds

Hi,

Appologies for posting this again, posted in Restoration, Retouching, and Manipulation but probably was wrong place. Hopefully someone will be able to answer it in this forum. Here it goes again !!

I'm trying to find backgrounds similar to the backgrounds used for baby pics in the image arts etc website.

http://www.imageartsetc.com/products...it-effects.htm

Anyone know where these backgrounds can be purchased.

Thanks

Adrian

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 12-08-2004 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Fixed link...it did not survive the copy/paste process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 08:52 PM

Hi Adrian:

Are you talking about the shoes, teapot, ice cream cone, etc?

~Danny~

(btw: I fixed the link above. It didn't survive the copy/paste.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2004, 12:07 PM

Photo backgrounds

Danny,

Thanks for replying.

Ya I'm looking for these kind of backgrounds. Do you know where I can find a collection of these.

Many thanks

Adrian
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsw
Danny,

Thanks for replying.

Ya I'm looking for these kind of backgrounds. Do you know where I can find a collection of these.

Many thanks

Adrian
OK... that helps, Adrian. Thx for the confirmation.

New ground for me personally, so I've been surfing the net for awhile (something I enjoy) using Google to see what I could unearth. Google keyword possibilities:

"digital backgrounds"

"stock photography"

Wish I could tell you I hit a home run and found THE site, but, alas, no. Did run across some possibilities...

Stock photo sites like www.GettyImages.com have TONS of images. You can do keyword searches (I tried separate searches using "ice cream cone" and "baby"), and get lots of hits -- some of which look promising, but you'd have to make the final call. I don't know if you envision taking a studio-type pick against (say) a blue background (for easy BG replace) and splice in a one of these backgrounds.

Search on "stock photo" -- optionally add "free" to the search.
* http://www.istockphoto.com/introduction.php
* http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml
* Extensive, but not cheap: http://www.fotosearch.com/

I got a few hits on "digital background" doing an eBay search if you're into eBay shopping. Some nice "curtain-type" backgrounds, but no booties, ice cream or tea pots.

RANDOM THOUGHTS
It occurs to me you'd need to take into consideration things like lighting (of the kid photo) so it more-or-less matched up with your stock photo background light direction/shadows, as well as baby's arms/legs are positioned correctly for the digital prop you're planning to use, etc.

That said, have you considered making your own digital backgrounds...? That way you would be in total control of item selection, light direction, positioning, image size, etc?

OK... enough blathering on my part.

Does any of this help?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2004, 05:52 PM

Photo Background

Thanks again Danny for your time.

Ya I'm an avid google fan aswell and have searched and searched for a collection of these types of images but to no avail.

First came across this when I saw a portrait photographer in a mall, taking photographs of small kids and then placing their heads on other images. These images were football, sport, cartoon, fantasy.... type images and he seemed to have a large collection to choose from. Kids could be a fireman, football player, ballerina, fairy etc.

Then saw same service on imageartsetc.com and similar stuff on famousfriends.co.ukwww.famousfriends.co.uk.

While the last website is different in that that these images are readily available, I would love to be able to buy a collection already put together for creating a service like imageartsetc.

One Question about famousfriends, how can they use these photos. Do they have to pay royalties on each image they create.

Thanks for the links, especially Getty images. Will have to search through.

Thats the end of my long windiness !!

Thanks

Adrian
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101