Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

My 101 graduation

Old 12-10-2004, 11:07 PM
My 101 graduation

A couple weeks ago, I was playing around with some vacation photos. My goal was to use what I had learned here and, without following anything step-by-step, improve on my original (weak) photoArt efforts. I got very caught up in this, staying up way too late several nights running. But, one of those nights, I produced some images I was very pleased with, discovered a new sketch technique I haven't seen anywhere, and created a (filters only) oil painting method I liked better than the (filters only) oil tutorials I've seen. While still having much to learn, and usually feeling humbled by most of the Creative Interpretation threads, I've nervously ventured out to post in the other PhotoArt forums. As such, I feel it's time to "graduate" from 101 (a few months early).

Before I go, I want to share a couple things with other newbies, current or future:

Try to understand how the various PhotoArt methods (for sketches, watercolors, etc) work. Then, when you have an end result in mind, you'll have some knowledge or intuition for what steps will take you there. Also, try lots of different techniques. Soon you will find yourself combining old ideas in new ways, blazing your own creative trail.

The BEST of PhotoArt & Tutorial forums are great. But, there are great ideas in the other forums as well. Here are some very useful or thought provoking threads I selected from the main (top level) forum:

Improved posterization
Using GraphicsPen filter
Cataloging filter behavior
Discussion on oil-like art
Modular PhotoArt_01
Modular PhotoArt_02
Smudge tool how-to
Embossed brush
Fun w/ sharpen tool
Custom brushstroke patterns
Montaging fun
Uses for difference mode
Expanding texturizer filter
Discussion on watercolor effects
Kalidescope effects
Posterization thoughts
Controlling stroke angle in PS filters
Stained glass effects

Finally, a last 101 image to share with you all (using Elements 2 w/ HPT):

A: BG - One of the photoshop artsy filters applied to an original photo - my photoArt end product before discovering this site. I forget which filter it was. Maybe paint daubs? Actually, for a single filter effort, it was pretty effective.
B: copy BG. Turn it into a WC using this method
C: copy BG. Add a mask, fill w/ black & paint to let the BG show through some. Basically trying out this idea -- this idea from Phyllis Stewart
D: Levels to brighten the image
E: Stone pattern. Overlay mode, 100% Opacity
F: Copy BG, turn it into an outline sketch (pick your favorite method). Multiply mode, 31% opacity. Maybe goes better between layers D & E.

Hope to see other new folks show up here or join me outside the "sandbox." Keep on creating & sharing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg falls_WC.jpg (88.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2004, 05:58 PM

You've sure unearthed some of the best of the forum. The topic links are greatly appreciated.

You are very deserving of your PA 101 Graduation Diploma and I'm honored to present it to you - virtually!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101