RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art 101 This forum is a place for those new to photo-based art to ask questions and post their creations. Seasoned veterans are welcome to offer advice or assistance, but we ask that images posted be from members with less than 6-months experience.

Impressionist: Elin

Old 12-28-2004, 09:18 PM

Impressionist: Elin

This is an area that i am in total awe of. After having the pleasure of viewing so many fantstic examples of varying styles, i decided it was time to my hand at impressionist.

It comes as no suprise that i turn to Master Trimoon's tutorial for this example, but as a first attempt of course i am going to be proud.

I post this here for one reason and one reason only YOUR THOUGHTS.

I want honest opinions from both amateurs and professionals alike, it all counts. My aim is to master this technique before i move onto a different area and that is not going to happen unless my work is subject to critique.

I will be honest and tell you that i am not a fan of plugin's and strongly beleive that everything can be created from scratch from within the bounds of Photoshop or whatever mediam you choose to create, however.... i needed to start somewhere, and get a real feel for how the impressionist style should be.

The subject is Elin, my girlfriend, my best friend and my rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elinfaceimp.jpg (99.9 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2004, 10:34 PM

Welcome!

First off, I might begin by stating the obvious, that art is in the eye of the beholder. That said, it leaves the door open to a myriad of interpretations, almost as many as there are people. Therefore, don't be discouraged as you experiment and search for your own style. Whatever you do will be a rewarding learning experience.

You have a good beginning, at least imho. Impressionist is lots of fun; and I personally am just beginning to sample all of its little goodies. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us who frequent this forum.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 08:22 AM

Hello again...

Using a tutorial by Trimoon is a great place to start. He definitely is a master. My compliments on taking this leap.

First a couple comments on your comments before sharing my thoughts on your art...

re: "I will be honest and tell you that i am not a fan of plugin's and strongly beleive that everything can be created from scratch from within the bounds of Photoshop or whatever mediam you choose to create."

That's like saying, "I'm not a fan of packaged bread, canned and frozen food, and meat purchased at the grocery store and strongly beleive that everything can be created from scratch from within the bounds of my farm and kitchen." Under the right circumstances, one could certainly do that.

Most people can learn artistic (or baking from scratch or gardening) skills, but for those who don't have the time or the inclination yet still have the desire to manipulate images, plugins and filters are a means to an end -- just like microwave ovens are in the kitchen and chainsaws are in the forest.

No one has to defend the use of any tool, in this forum anyway.

re: "...I needed to start somewhere..."

My hat's off to you. We all start at the same place: THE BEGINNING. I hope other lurkers are inspired by your creativity and courage.

re: " ...and get a real feel for how the impressionist style should be."

Well, I'm not much into assessing "style" per se because I'm not schooled in such things.

re: "I want honest opinions... My aim is to master this technique before i move onto a different area and that is not going to happen unless my work is subject to critique."

Again I can't assess the degree you've mastered the technique. As Janet said, it's a pretty subjective call. I will share my thoughts...

I especially liked the layering near the edges and the overall texturing is very effective.

Things that I found distracting:
* The highlight area on her forehead (probably from the flash) looks unnatural. It's unlikely you'd ever see something like this in a painting because I suspect most paint artists don't use a flash to light their subjects! Before starting the artistic transformation you might add a new layer above the original and lightly airbrush some color onto areas such as this.
* The eyes to me are too dark. Again, before the transformation, you could apply a Levels adjustment layer and move the middle slider to the left to lighten the overall image. When you get "the eyes right," click OK. Then Ctrl + I to "invert" the mask. Set foreground color to white and airbrush around the eyes. The Levels effect will be applied where white is painted.
* The mouth looks too "photo-like." While she has a beautiful smile, the mouth detail (to me) immediately reveals this to be a photo. Something you could do in this area is to "simplify" the image a bit before applying the Trimoon technique. Among the ways to do this are smudging or applying filters such as Smart Blur (normal) or Dry Brush, with retains a lot of detail, but renders a pleasing arty look.

I hope this feedback is useful and I encourage you to keep experimenting. You are off to a great start.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 AM

Elin: Take Two

Ok, thanks guys for the comments and a special thanks to Danny for taking the time to give me an honest quite in-depth critique.

I have realised that the monitor i have in work is very dark and as a result what i see on screen is not what my finished product actually looks like to the rest of you

However, back at home i took all your comments on board and started again, this time paying close attention to specifics like the flash cast on the forehead, the lips and overall image in general., in general i spent more time on preparation of the base image.

I am fairly happy with the result, but feel i may lack in colour slightly, having said that, i also feel it gives it a watercolour effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elinfaceimp2.jpg (99.8 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Axleuk; 12-29-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM

Hiya Axleuk,

I must say, after looking at the two version side-by-side, the newer one is much more to my liking. And more flattering to your lovely subject, I should think.

Now, I must admit that I'm not familiar with Trimoons technique or the style you were trying to emulate, so I can't say much on how well you captured the style. Still, I know what I like, and this is very nice.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 02:18 PM

My virtual hat is off to you for experimenting and progressing and for doing so with an open mind and a willing attitude. Keep 'em comin' ok?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 05:46 PM

Elin: Progess #3

Not sure about this one, i kind of went with a feeling rather than stick to the "norm".

Overall, not too bad, however i did struggle a bit trying to find that "feel and look" i had in my minds eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elinfaceimp3.jpg (98.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 05:49 PM

I should have done this at the beginning, however this is the original image i am working with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elinfacepro.jpg (98.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 03:00 PM

Deviation: Impressionist Elin 4

OK, this is my own take on Master Trimoons Impressionist technique.

Using similiar guidlines but without refering to his tutorials, but rather trying to encapsulate the same effect off my own back.

Not the easiest task i will admit, but having it as a base for a deviation was fun and i feel i have a better understanding of the whole process than i had before i started.

As you can see i have used a different image this time and overall, i feel i have improved somewhat, but i still have a problem with making it look authentic. Perhaps someone could advise on a method that allows for a brush stoked look ?

I will keep on at it, and will also try to figure out a technique for realistic brush strokes within Photoshop CS, but am open to suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elinfaceimp4.jpg (98.2 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 11:44 PM

I'm sorry, normally I refrain from negative comments but this time I can't help myself. Please take this with a grain of salt because I'm by no means an expert.

But,

Please fix this pretty woman's hair. Before you work on the painting part, details like her hair should have been tweaked first. It looks like she has on a golden halo around a dark center. Everything else is great.

Janet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art 101