RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #01 - Mountain Man

Old 01-17-2005, 06:51 AM

Mountain Main in Oil

I have been dodging this one like the plague until i had got my teeth in Painter for while but had decided that today was the day for a little Painting.

Painter 9:

- Copied original image
- Cloner / Wet Oil Brush 10 Settings: Resat:32% Bleed:51% Feature:1.9

Gently going over the face and beard, changing size to suit and keeping with the contour and direction of features in order to create a nice flow ( pressing too hard will affect the bleed and therefore smear everything together, not good in this sample)
For the beard i made sure that i used a smaller brush setting and quick small strokes.

- Flat Impasto Cloner for the hair, Settings: Resat:71% Bleed:43% Feature:2.5 (this gives me a little detail to the stroke in order that hair looks as natural as possible wilst keeping it smooth-ish). Remembering to keep to the natural curls. I always start with the smaller distant curls and then overlap them with a bigger stronger curl to keep the depth.

Paint in the background with a stronger Impasto sized brush

Imported to Photoshop for some cosmetic correction
Applied a highpass filter to enhance detail

Voila !

For a better side by side comparison without compression issues Click Here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mountain_Man.jpg (97.6 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 05:23 PM

You got your teeth into this exceptionally well. Thank you for the details on your approach to this...!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 08:01 PM

Axel. Simply awesome Painter result. Can you comment why you set the brush parameters as shown? I'm still struggling to figure out what these do, especially the "feature" knob which I can't seem to find in the manual. Also, why did you switch to the Flat Impasto cloner for the hair? What does it do (or not do) compared to the WetOils cloner? Finally, did you do this in one pass or many while using or not using TracingPaper? I ask this latter Q because I struggle to see my strokes with TracingPaper on, but can't work (at least intially) without a reference.

Jaykita, I like your Painter chalk version too. Are you pretty comfortable with this program? (Your work suggests you are.) Got any tips to share?

-Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve
Jaykita - as I said, you're an inspiration!
Ditto what Neve said. This one "rocks."
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM

SWEngineer, Neve, Once again, thanks for your comments, i have only been using Painter actively for about 2 weeks now, but have taken to it like a duck to water. My father used to do landscape oil and acrylic painting a la Boss Ross style and as a result of watching him for many years picked up on various techniques he used, with painter it very a very similiar process

Quote:
Can you comment why you set the brush parameters as shown? I'm still struggling to figure out what these do, especially the "feature" knob which I can't seem to find in the manual.
- Cloner / Wet Oil Brush 10 Settings: Resat:32% Bleed:51% Feature:1.9:

Resat (Resaturation):The amount of the current colour the brush picks up, the lower the setting, the more paint from the previous stroke stays on the brush so when you apply the brush to the canvas and stroke across, the initial colour you had on the brush will blend across the canvas more, the higher the setting, then very little (if any) carries across the canvas. The best way to see this in action it to paint 1 thick black line of paint and 1 thick white line of paint under it and play with the RESAT settings but paint across the two lines in one stroke, you will understand the principle better.

Bleed: This is how much the paint bleeds when brushing a stroke, so a higher setting will cause the paint the be a bit more watery therefore causing it to bleed more than it would with a lower setting, so depending on your medium, adjust to best suit your need.

Feature: (Brush Hairs) The amount of brush hairs that are present, the lesser the number, the denser the brush, the higher the number then the brush starts to behave like a cheap artists brush and is wispy in application. If you imagine you have a brush with 100 bristles, the lowest setting will use all the bristles and the highest will have just 1 bristle.

Quote:
why did you switch to the Flat Impasto cloner for the hair? What does it do (or not do) compared to the WetOils cloner?
Impasto is a technique used in painting where paint is laid on the canvas very thickly, usually thickly enough that the brush or painting-knife strokes are visible. Paint can also be mixed right on the canvas.

I use this for the hair as in real life hair has many strands and this technique helps to keep that look in the painting, as the paint is thick the brush stroke are more dominant, of course, your setting can affect this, so experiment.

Quote:
Finally, did you do this in one pass or many while using or not using TracingPaper?
I try to keep my technique as close to a real artist as possible, and you very rarely see an Oil artist make just one pass, he will always go back and rework the brush to either get a better blend or to change something. One thing I will mention is realism, and the fact that you want your work to be as realistic as possible, so if you make a mistake, dont immediately undo the action, try and paint out your mistake, it makes for a better finished product and adds to the overall effect, of course if your mistake is drastic then by all means undo it, but try to simulate the actions of a real artist and your work will come together.

Whilst i can work to a certain degree from reference, it takes a lot of time and patience, so for the time being i prefer the cloning method.

Play.Fiddle.Learn

Hope this helps, If anyone would like a little one on one guidance, why not contact me via email or messanger and we can work together on an image and i can explain a few techniques if it helps or better still open a new thread and do a step by step group effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 01:29 AM

Thanks Axel!

Great feedback. I really like your idea of a group step-by-step thread. It sounds like a lot of fun and a great chance to learn, but I wonder if Danny would be ok with this? I'm up for it if so.

-Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 AM

Your explanation Axle is very much appreciated. Since I've not had a lick of experience re traditional art in any form I'm open to your suggestions/advice/assistance wholeheartedly. What a joy to have such talent in your father and naturally you would've learned a lot just by watching his methods.

I had already accepted that learning Painter will be a long process and needs commitment. So your idea of a step by step group effort has my wholehearted support.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve
...So your idea of a step by step group effort has my wholehearted support.
For the 2nd time in just a few threads: Ditto what Neve said.

Go for it...

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM

Thanks guys (and gal), I have just written a tutorial on my technique but am currently having problems uploading the images. As soon as i have that issue resolved will try to incorporate it into a step by step Group effort.

Update: !!

Tutorial can now be found here http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...9342#post79342

Last edited by Axleuk; 01-18-2005 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Update Message !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 04:22 PM

here's my attempt at Mountain Man and converting him to a sketch.

I duped the background layer applied threshold, played with the curves on the original layer, add a few sprayed stroke effects to the theshold layer. Then duplicated that layer again and set it to colour burn 40% and set the other threshold layer to multiply 35% and voila!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountainman.jpg (83.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges