RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #01 - Mountain Man

Old 06-29-2002, 08:32 AM

I love that texture, Phil. How did you make it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 08:55 AM

Here's mine

Mr Mountain man

Done with Painter 7.0, Photoshop 6.0 and a Wacom Intuos 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountainmanpainting.jpg (98.8 KB, 193 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 09:44 AM

We're having fun now!

Wow!

Mt. Man probably never looked or felt so good. Some great intrepretations so far.

Etienne:
EXCELLENT WORK! Welcome to RetouchPro. Glad you jumped right in to join us. Hope we see more of your terrific creations in the future.

Pixelmover:
Sure glad you got over the Painter 7 hump. Exceptional job on this one. Did you print the orig & freehand your rendition or... ??? Give us a hint.

Phil:
Ditto Jak's comment about the texture. Very cool. Looks like he's ready for a night on the town!

Jak:
Background really adds flavor! It's right out of my past life. I can hear "Purple Haze" playing in the background.

- - - - - - - -

Gosh... looks like everybody else is having fun. It's OK for me to jump in the pool, too, right? ("Heck yeah! I'm the moderator!" LOL)

Here's one in which I used a couple effects (Cezanne, Pencil Sketch) from a not well know application called Professor Franklin's Instant Photo Effects. Pulled the results into PS 5.5 and tuned them up a bit.

Kind of the wind blown look, ya think?

- - - - - - - -

Keep those entries coming. (No expiration on this).

Already submitted one? Wanna do another? GO AHEAD!

But most of all, "Keep having fun!"

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-challenge-01-mountain-man-2.0-web.jpg (76.2 KB, 155 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 09:56 AM

Re: We're having fun now!

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyRaphael
...<snip>...
Pixelmover:
Sure glad you got over the Painter 7 hump. Exceptional job on this one. Did you print the orig & freehand your rendition or... ??? Give us a hint ...<snip>...

~DannyR~ [/B]
hint... hmm..asking for a hint rather than a full step-by-step description, eh?

ok, here you go.

Used the palette knife in painter with my Wacom, dragged it back to photosop to give it some unsharp masking and lighting effects, back to painter to add some highlights/shadows with a normal brush, then smear a bit more until statisfied..repeat as necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 10:18 AM

That's funny, Danny!

My original intention was to make one of those kind of '60s psychadelic posters and the background was originally just a radial gradient in some pretty bizzarre colors, but I slingshotted past '60s psych and ended up somewhere completely different - never bothered to remove the background though...

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 10:22 AM

Yes, Etienne! Great job. And welcome to the frey!

I posted a comment earlier about yours, but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace

(hey, wasn't that the name of an old TV show??? )

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out how to turn a photo into a cartoon for ages and can't seem to get it to look like yours does.

Care to share how you did that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 12:32 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Here's mine. I used the image to try Katrin's method of masking the hair. At some point I did modify her course, but I was relatively happy with the outcome.

I pictured the "Mountain Man" as being a fugitive, hiding behind foilage. So I took a shot of my wife's garden, and combined the two. But I don't really remember *exactly* what I did. I used the dry brush to finish up, with brush size 3, detail 8, and texture 2. But I had fun. Thanks Danny. Very cool idea!

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountain-man2.jpg (83.2 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 01:36 PM

How it was done

I actually used illustrator to do this one . Don't know if any of you has used it much but it certainly has its place.

I basically just traced the different elements of his face using the pen tool. I ended up with a bunch of different shapes that I color filled and stroked. For the shirt texture I made a 100 px square approximation of MMs' shirt which illustrator allowed me to load up as a swatch. Then it was simply a matter of filling the shape with the swatch.

I've only been using Illustrator for a couple of months but it definitely has it's place. At the moment I'm going through a game of Illustrator tennis w/ a friend who knows his way around the program. The deal his my buddy created a piece which he sent to me in layers. I then took elements that I liked and created my own piece which I "volleyed" back to him. Lots of fun and a good way to learn.

You know I'm thinking you could do something similar here. I've seen it done many times w/ photoshop and its totally cool to see how the intial serve metamorphasize into something completely different.

Whoa got a little OT there heh. But if any one is interested in trying something like this let me know, cuz I'm there.

Cheers,
Etienne

P.S. If anyone is interested in checking out some wicked cool illustrator art, check out http://www.rinzen.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 03:48 PM

Talking

I used two actions from this place somewhere...one was the sketch one and the other was the efx_painter. With that one I used the efx painter image, inversed, and blurred with gaussian blur to suit. The blend modes I played with and don't remember. The original background image I did a lot of hue/sat on. The texture is one OhThatGirl (forgot her name) used and is part of the SPLAT! filter oddities painterly set. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2002, 09:23 PM

Ed:

Your "Mountain Man - Hiding" is inspired! I can almost hear Johnny Rivers playing, "Secret Agent Man" in the background. Appreciate you jumping into the fray for a little frolic and fun.

Herewith is another churning from me to wind this one up for the moment.

Future contributions always welcome!

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountain-man-wc-and-ink-2.jpg (88.1 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges