RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Art Mini-Challenges Moderator posted images. Open to all members.

PHOTO ART: Mini-Challenge #01 - Mountain Man

Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 AM

After reading Danny's excellent tutorial in Photo Art 101, "Combining Dry Brush and Cross Hatch Filters", I had to dig this great image up and play...

Many, many creative and very well done renditions here. This is one of the most varied threads I've seen so far. Amazing what can be done to one photo!

A big thanks to Visual Eyes' (wherever he is ) for his graphic tutorial, very informative.

Throwing in my version, kind of a tribute to one of my favorite artists here, Trimoon.

I started with Danny's tut, then just kept going.

Pam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountain-man-version-1.jpg (97.5 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2003, 02:32 PM

Glad the Photo-art 101 tutorial gave you some inspiration.
Thanks for bringing "Mountain Main" back to life, Pam. You sure made him look better than he started.

RE: Visual Eyes
Sure miss his his work. He's a very talented artist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2003, 12:26 PM

I wasn't going to submit anything for this one as I'm getting into the thread so late, but I needed my daily 'fix' of work in the Digital Darkroom....so, here's my rendition.
Regards,
Bill C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billmtnman.jpg (96.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2003, 04:19 AM

Thumbs down

Bill C, I like yours, I think it is original,
it looks like a mixture of hand drawn and computer image.
Did you use a sketch action for it?

Pam, yours look like a real painting, what did you do it
after Danny's Tut ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2003, 04:35 PM

Bill:

Nice to see you tackled one of my fav's, "Mountain Man." Glad you bounced him back to the top.

Very interesting effect... almost looks like there's a piece of glass between the outline and the texture background.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2003, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alex
Pam, yours look like a real painting, what did you do it
after Danny's Tut ?
Hi Alex,

Danny's tutorial got me started playing with the dry brush filter and using layer masks to preserve detail. That playing around spun off into finding a quick method to preserve detail while adding a brushed look by using a luminance layer. But basically the "painted" effect comes from a standard technique of "hiding" the image with a white layer, then revealing it by painting black on a layer mask. Here are my steps:

1 Dupe the original layer

2 Run Filter>Artistic>Dry Brush (or filter of your choice) on the top layer

3 Activate the first layer (original image), and hit Ctrl + Alt + ~ (tilde), then Ctrl + J. This will load the luminance (basically all the lighter parts of the image) as a new layer. Move this new layer on top of the dry brush copy. This will add some detail back and leave the glasses with a cleaner line. You can adjust this effect overall by lowering opacity or selectively by using a layer mask. You now have 3 layers:
  • The bottom, original photo layer
  • The second, dry brushed layer
  • The luminance layer
4 I then added a sandstone texture layer, set to overlay mode

5 Open a pattern adjustment layer, choose "Parchment", set to overlay mode, about 30% opacity. I scaled this at 70%

6 Open another pattern adjustment layer, choose "Stucco 2", set to overlay mode, about 30% opacity. I scaled this pattern at about 550%

7 Open a new layer, fill with white. Add a layer mask. Paint black on this mask at a low opacity to reveal the image beneath. I used the "Heavy Scatter Flow" brush that can be found under "Wet Media" brushes

There are many more uses for the luminance layer. One is to increase saturation. Adding a hue/sat adjustment to the luminance layer allows you to saturate colors well beyond what is possible when using hue/sat directly on the image itself. You can also add filter effects to the luminance layer itself. This will contain the effects to the lighter areas of the image.

Also, when you hit Ctrl + Alt + ~, you are making a selection. This can then be used as a mask by clicking on the "add layer mask" button. Effects applied to this layer will affect the lighter portions of the image. Try inverting the mask to apply the layer effects to the darker areas of the image. The layer mask itself can also be manipulated. For example, blurring it or adjusting the contrast, etc.

This image ("Mountain Man") seemed to work well with multiple, rough type textures. You might want to discard some texture layers or use softer, more subtle textures with other images.

Whew! This response seems to have turned into a luminance layer tutorial. Probably more than you wanted to know

Let me know if this works for you...
Pam
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2003, 07:49 AM

Thanks Pam, for the detailed explanation, I will try that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2004, 09:54 PM

From the shelter of his rustic retreat, MountainMan......

cautiously gazes out at the civilization he intended to leave behind, and he wonders.......

"Is it really too late to duck and cover?"

(sorry, I couldn't resist :-)

This one is done with Flaming Pear's Wavy Color filter, an Infra-Red action, and a bit of tweaking in Photoshop.

I know this is an old thread, but Pam..... your painting is beautiful! Thanks for the great how-to. I love this place.

Sharon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_is-it-too-late.jpg (97.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2004, 04:22 PM

First Mountain-Man

Well here is my first.
New to RetouchPRO and have had Photoshop about 4 months.
I’ve been lurking for some time and have learned a lot from you guys.
What a great web site and software.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first mountain-man.jpg (85.1 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2004, 05:56 PM

Sharon:

Glad you got this thread going again. It's a great pic with which to work. Your interpretation is one of the best/most creative that I have seen.

- - - - - - - -

Hey, John:

Congrats on your first pic. For only having had PS for a few months, you're doing a heck of a lot better than most folks. Very creative and well done.

By all means continue to tackle any of these older threads. No time limit on having fun and being creative.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo Art Mini-Challenges